PD140... Supporting mods for coilovers?

Jamie TDI140

Bearded Coal Chucker
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in the midst of saving for some coilovers and was wondering what supporting mods are beneficial (if any)? I know that I can just bolt them in and away I go, but just curious if replacing some bushes and the like for poly ones would be worth it? to firm up the handling a little more? or would I just be better getting OEM if I went down that route of replacing things? (side note: new top mounts will be bought and fitted at the same time as suspension)

Ta :peace:

Anti-Roll bars are always a good mod to go with coilovers if you want to reduce body roll. Bushes really depend on how far gone your existing ones are and how much firmer you want the car to be.

Edit: anti-lift kit is also a worthwhile upgrade too.

Anti-Roll bars are always a good mod to go with coilovers if you want to reduce body roll. Bushes really depend on how far gone your existing ones are and how much firmer you want the car to be.

Edit: anti-lift kit is also a worthwhile upgrade too.

Anti-roll bars are a good shout, don't know why I didn't think of that tbh haha. Whiteline is the route to go I think.

In terms of firmness, it's not like I'll be replacing them all round, probably one or two that won't make much impact on drivability, I use the car for a few long journeys in the year and want it comfy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What coilovers ?

Many have double the spring rate of uprated lowered springs so can't be classed as comfy .

Can't go wrong with ST X for comfort, while giving a nice, sporty drive. I've had my set for a year and love them. Only changing them to better suit occasional track use.

Sent from a mobile device, please forgive typos :)

What coilovers ?

Many have double the spring rate of uprated lowered springs so can't be classed as comfy .

I'm going for AP's. I'm fully aware they aren't OEM comfort which is fine. They seem to have a good rep across the forums so will be my choice within my budget. I won't be chasing crazy lows so I won't be removing helper springs and bump stops etc.

Can't go wrong with ST X for comfort, while giving a nice, sporty drive. I've had my set for a year and love them. Only changing them to better suit occasional track use.

What sort of price range are the ST X's? They AP budget or more along the lines of KW's etc?

What sort of price range are the ST X's? They AP budget or more along the lines of KW's etc?

The ST are mid range, also made by KW and share the same internals as KW, but use cheaper external materials.

Price wise, they are between AP and KW

@leshkin I have just been searching around for more info on the ST X's and found your old thread, that got revived a little earlier this year. Your review on them seems pretty comprehensive and a good one at that! You may have swayed me towards the ST range over the AP's, it just means I have to save a bit longer... At least I have a good amount of time to make my mind up :grin:

Haha, glad it was useful. Yeah, it's a good kit. I still love how it feels under normal/fast road use.

I plan on upgrading to Bilstein B14 this winter as the ST kit is just too soft for the kind of power I'm pushing and it's definitely too soft for the track, which is what I want to start doing more of in the new year.

I'm not sure if you would want a used ST kit or if my one would fit your car ;) Either way, ST X kit is definitely not one to be overlooked as an OEM+ upgrade to keep the comfort and add some sportiness.

Haha, glad it was useful. Yeah, it's a good kit. I still love how it feels under normal/fast road use.

I plan on upgrading to Bilstein B14 this winter as the ST kit is just too soft for the kind of power I'm pushing and it's definitely too soft for the track, which is what I want to start doing more of in the new year.

I'm not sure if you would want a used ST kit or if my one would fit your car ;) Either way, ST X kit is definitely not one to be overlooked as an OEM+ upgrade to keep the comfort and add some sportiness.
I wouldn't mind buying second hand as long as I was confident that they had been well looked after and I wasn't being fobbed off (which I'm sure I wouldn't be if I did have yours) but unfortunately it wont/cant happen, 55m FWD unfortunately :sob:

Tbh they sound perfect for what I'm after. Comfort is what im chasing with the added bonus of better handling when on a spirited drive round the lanes. Seeing as mine is only a FWD PD140, track use is never going to be on the cards.