key fob

phil739

Reaction score
ok , first question from a newbie
i have two key fobs with my car ,3 buttons ones (open , unopen,hazzards)
one of them has never been used only starts the car for a second then i presume some sort of imbolizer kicks in ,
the other one MAIN KEY is locking worse for wear so the question is !!

how do i go about replace the main key ,
can i have the spare programed?? if so were and what price
or can i buy a new one of ebay (but they are differnet have boot opening button not hazard), if so how do i know which one and will it be programmed

sorry for the long winded silly question
thanks phil

Hi Phil,
one of them has never been used only starts the car for a second then i presume some sort of imbolizer kicks in
Is the Dash Immobiliser Lamp illuminated whilst this happens? Chances are, unless you have the original code tag, that its an audi dealer job only to rematch the chip inside the key and then they have to talk to Audi GMBH. If you have the Code tag with yours keys then i believe it can be done by anyone with VAGCOM.

If both keys are playing up then you may have a problem with the reader coil on the ignition barrel.

how do i go about replace the main key ,
can i have the spare programed?? if so were and what price
Does the worn key start the car ok? if so as a temporary measure, swap the new key blade into the old remote.

A new key flip type and coding is around £200-250 dependant on the Audi dealer.

can i buy a new one of ebay
Tread very carefully there, pull your key apart and get the serial number, Also the key needs to operate at the same frequency as yours.

If you can get one with a new blade, get it cut and then take all your keys to Audi and they can match it all and remove any other keys which may be missing.

Hope this Helps
Steve

sorry miss understanding , the main key starts the car ok , its just the fob thats looking worse for wear and the key doesnt stay folded in ...

yes the spare starts the car with all the lights on the dash on , but then cuts out after about 3 seconds ( so is this normal to have a key like this or is there a problem , been told its just a spare in case you lock the other inside the car !!) it also has a code on the back of the fob

how do i know what frequency mine is ?
what is VAGCOM?
and the ones on ebay are differnet to mine they have a button for boot release were as mine is for hazard lights , will this matter?
if i pull my main key apart and take battery out(to look for code) , will it still work or does it require resetting ?

sorry for all questions

thanks phil

VAGCOM is a bit of software that lets you hook in to the computers in the car and change things and reset thing and tell you what fault codes you have.

Your spare key is not programmed to your car only programmed to unlock the doors and lock them which is easy to do and lock them which is easy to do hence why it shut off after 3sec. What you need to do is get the transponder in the key needs syncing with your immobiliser which is only possible if you have the tag with your key code and VAGCOM or a main dealer option.

You need the 2 button fob although I have been told the 3 button may work but it wont open the boot but don't quote me on that.

ok all sorted ,
got the spare chipped and coded for 15 quid

well happy

thanks for all you help