Petrol vs diesel in the A4

holly35

Reaction score
Thought this my develop some interesting comments....those for and against each variant and why.....:semi twins:

Diesel is best for high mileage motoring, both in terms of fuel economy and longevity of the engine. I'm a low-ish mileage driver and I dislike diesels, so easy choice for me. To be fair, modern diesel engines are very refined and if economy were an issue for me, I'd have to think seriously about going with diesel. As it is, I can enjoy the extra refinement and relative quietness of petrol

Reactions: Kestrel
i do a lot of small journeys so always going to be petrol for me. else i'd just have to keep shelling out when the dpf etc gets clogged up. + modern petrol engines get pretty good mileage anyways, my b8 s4 can hit the 33-34mpg (real world) if im crusing at or just below the speed limit on a M road. My old 1.8t petrol was considerably worse and almost half the displacement

Petrol for me. Mileage not the deciding factor as I'm only doing 12-15k a year. if I was over 25k a year would go for diesel. Prefer the sound of petrol engine too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Despite being a petrol head I am well impressed with how smooth and quiet my 190 Tdi is... Unfortunately the exhaust doesnt sound as good as my RS3!

My view is it's up to personal preference and what needs you have, thus any answers will be subjective.

Reactions: Brasso