Wiring the DRl's into the sidelights!

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
So, I'm looking at wiring the DRls and the sidelights together, so when the DRl's are in the sidelights are on and vice versa.

Now has anyone done this? I have several resistors which will be large enough to accommodate both bulbs.

My plans are, wire both incoming feeds into one main resistor, then take both out going feeds to the respective bulb holders with the new LED bulbs in.

Should work in theory! Any input?

Reference to the circuit diagram here would be a good idea as the circuits you mention are independent and module-switched. If you PM reg & VIN I can pull relevant info and help plan.

Hi mate. So connecting the 2 together into one resistor won't cause back feed issues etc?

I like lights, specifically LED's haha.

Seriously though, I have a thing for LED's, I think it brings the car upto date and having halogen lights just ages a car.

So connecting the 2 together into one resistor won't cause back feed issues etc?

In not 100% on what you mean here...
I presume you intend on installing DRL lighting in a parallel branch (i.e. DRLs to be switched via sidelight switch?)...As you're aware, changing the load on the body module-actuated side may produce errors on DIS due to change in total circuit resistance. Using low draw LEDs may not cause any issues and you can easily hook up your LEDs of choice and carry out a test before installing (don't up-rate original fuse).

If you can PM your VIN that will allow me to get the factory configuration for your vehicle as well as circuit diagram.

I like lights, specifically LED's haha.

Nothing wrong with that :D

My plan is to have the DRlS and sidelight power feeds going into one resistor that they will both share, then taking 2 separate feeds from the resistor to the 2 individual bulbs to power them. That make sense?

I've PM'd you my reg pal.

My plan is to have the DRlS and sidelight power feeds going into one resistor that they will both share, then taking 2 separate feeds from the resistor to the 2 individual bulbs to power them. That make sense?

What's the resistor for? This will further push the circuit resistance away from spec. If you can draw your proposed circuit this will let me understand your plan.

Right, excuse the crappy drawing, CADs down at work.

Does this make sense? The resistor needs to be their to stop canbus throwing a light out code when using the LED's.

IMG 2656

Right, excuse the crappy drawing, CADs down at work.
The resistor needs to be their to stop canbus throwing a light out code when using the LED's.

A resistor is required only if you are trying to maintain original circuit resistance for prevent errors. E.G. when fitting LED reg bulbs you cannot simply swap out as the circuit resistance will be reduced, hence the requirement for an additional series "dummy" resistor.
In you're case, if I have interpreted you intention correctly, you are adding to an original circuit with a low draw consumer (LEDs). As such, the resistor is not required.

But I am wanting to add LED's for both front lights so without the resistor the car will throw a bulb light error though! Whenever I've tried to fit LED's up front the car always throws a bulb out error.