Wrong rear diffuser

Ormesome

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Need your help! My A3 had a replacement rear diffuser but old owner put on the wrong rear diffuser. He put on the double exhaust style not the single exhaust style that is for my car. I have the 1.6tdi so single exhaust. Why he did this i dont know but it was reflected when i bought it. I ordered a single exhaust diffuser and the local garage tried to fit it today but it doesn't fit. I thought that they would be just parts that where interchangeable. I have attached pictures that show the difference. Is it a case of different bumper or that there are 2 types of rear diffuser? mine is a 3door. Have i bought a 5door diffuser? Im shacking my head trying to think of why it wont fit... Unless the bumper is different? It very nearly fits but the fitting brackets are different so wont clip in.

Thanks for your help in advance
IMG 2856
IMG 2855
IMG 2854
IMG 2853
IMG 2852
:)

Last edited:
Reactions: pburv
Hey guys,

Need your help! My A3 had a replacement rear diffuser but old owner put on the wrong rear diffuser. He put on the double exhaust style not the single exhaust style that is for my car. I have the 1.6tdi so single exhaust. Why he did this i dont know but it was reflected when i bought it. I ordered a single exhaust diffuser and the local garage tried to fit it today but it doesn't fit. I thought that they would be just parts that where interchangeable. I have attached pictures that show the difference. Is it a case of different bumper or that there are 2 types of rear diffuser? mine is a 3door. Have i bought a 5door diffuser? Im shacking my hear trying to think of why this is. Unless the bumper is different? It very nearly fits but the fitting brackets are different so wont clip in.

Thanks for your help in advanceView attachment 106700 View attachment 106701 View attachment 106702 View attachment 106703 View attachment 106704 :)
I know you already have bought the correct diffuser.....But would it not have been cheaper/easier to just buy a twin pipe rear box?

Reactions: Ormesome
I know you already have bought the correct diffuser.....But would it not have been cheaper/easier to just buy a twin pipe rear box?

Helpful! haha!! :tearsofjoy: i guess it would have been yes but was trying to keep it stock!

Reactions: Scottyg and Ormesome
Thanks for that. The diffuser i bought is part number 8V5807521F/G. cant seem to find the correct codes. that site is great but a maze!

Thanks for that. The diffuser i bought is part number 8V5807521F/G. cant seem to find the correct codes. that site is great but a maze!
I'm sure there's a member on here who works in a parts dept.at an Audi dealership...?
Maybe @Sandra could help out with your query...?:friends:

Reactions: Sandra and Ormesome
Googling the part it looks like it could be for the saloon. I feel your pain as i have a 1.6tdi 5 dr and looking for a double exhaust diffuser and I posted a parts request earlier to help and get a quote. Failing that just trawl through eBay to try and get your head round the parts.

Reactions: pburv and Ormesome
On the A5, the S line diffuser will only fit a S line bumper. Could that be the issue here?

Thanks Pburv. ill keep searching. Ac2003, bought the single exit diffuser online,second hand, seller reckons it was from an S-Line 3door hence why i thought it was ok for mine. Its weird that the bumpers all look the same but i guess arent. i thought Audi would have made 2 varients, single and double exit to keep costs down.

On the A5, the S line diffuser will only fit a S line bumper. Could that be the issue here?

Prob is i have the S-Line bumper and the part i bought was supposedly from an A3 3door S-line. Hence why i thought the diffusers where interchangeable. Even the S3 bumper seems the same as S-line.

Reactions: pburv and DrEskimo
Prob is i have the S-Line bumper and the part i bought was supposedly from an A3 3door S-line. Hence why i thought the diffusers where interchangeable. Even the S3 bumper seems the same as S-line.

Indeed. S and S line share the same bumper. It's just non S line that is different (and probably the RS).

Perhaps it is from a s line saloon then. Would imagine they are pretty different.

So why can't you use that single rear diffuser in that picture?

Also I have a single diffuser in my garage. You can have it for small fee, where are you based?

So why can't you use that single rear diffuser in that picture?

Also I have a single diffuser in my garage. You can have it for small fee, where are you based?

Apparently it wont clip in? i have no experience of changing it. the garage just told me. not an audi dealer. Im in Portugal at the moment and use the local indi garage. normally quite good. gonna go down in the morning to check it out. He reckoned the clips are different and it just wont clip in. which by the photos it seems right. it seems to fit but not clip!

Does any one have any experience of changing these? i have scoured the internet and found only the 2 diffuser designs i have so im completely out of clues! unless the garage is being a bit silly....

Thanks for the offer of the spoiler Schizophonic. im in Portugal so postage is £40! whats the codes on the rear of your spoiler? mine is 8V5807521 F/G. tomoro ill go down tot eh garage and get the codes of the double spoiler that is installed to know for sure if its not compatible.

DrEskimo, i too thought that but on the parts list Pburv provided earlier, the single diffuser i have seems correct for the 3 & 5 door S-line & S3.

Last edited:
Thanks Pburv. ill keep searching. Ac2003, bought the single exit diffuser online,second hand, seller reckons it was from an S-Line 3door hence why i thought it was ok for mine. Its weird that the bumpers all look the same but i guess arent. i thought Audi would have made 2 varients, single and double exit to keep costs down.
Try Mike at our parts request
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/support-tickets/open

I did a bit of studying before I eventually bought a S-Line diffuser for my Non S-Line 1.8T Saloon, I bought it from a scrappy and I asked him give me the part nos when I bought it and it was 8V5807521F/G, taken from a saloon, with dual pipe exhaust.
How they differentiate single / dual pipes and single side and dual side is something I'm not sure. In USA they have a Saloon 2.0 Quattro in S-Line that has single exhausts on either side.
Anyway looking at the pictures you've given the under hang of the single pipe is longer which suggests saloon rather than the short hatchback overhang.

@Ormesome my theory so far is that if the diffuser part starts 8V5 it's for the saloon, 8V4 for Sportback and 8V3 for 3dr, then it's followed by 807521. Not worked out the bits after that yet but guess it's for single/twin pipes (quite easy to tell that from a picture though).

I feel your pain! I'm actually still waiting for my S-line diffuser to arrive, bought in UK but I live in HK, it arrives late Oct, then need to see if the clips will fit the non S bumper.
In your case it would be easier getting a back box with dual pipes to fill out the diffuser, twins always are better!?!

I feel your pain! I'm actually still waiting for my S-line diffuser to arrive, bought in UK but I live in HK, it arrives late Oct, then need to see if the clips will fit the non S bumper.
In your case it would be easier getting a back box with dual pipes to fill out the diffuser, twins always are better!?!

Hope yours fits mate. Yep i think a dual pipe is the way to go. iv seen them for 70euros here in PT so might do that next month. Its just so much more difficult being abroad. I usually order from England as parts here are hard to get...If they dont fit its so hard to re-sell. The 2nd hand market is next to non existent here as people have a stigma against buying 2nd hand. Postage is so much to return items usually its better to just keep them!

Looking at the two parts you have I think the previous owner chopped about that twin tip rear defuser to make it fit anyhow. If you look at the areas I've circled in red you can see on the l/h trim the long strips between the locking clips have been crudely cut off but are present on the r/h trim.

Upload 2016 10 14 11 47 18

Looking at the two parts you have I think the previous owner chopped about that twin tip rear defuser to make it fit anyhow. If you look at the areas I've circled in red you can see on the l/h trim the long strips between the locking clips have been crudely cut off but are present on the r/h trim.

View attachment 106769
Good catch! Taking aside that the hatch bumper and saloon bumpers are different, it could be that S-Line diffusers need to be modified to fit on non S bumpers. I will get the dremel out for when mine arrives.

Having another look I can see there are other differences too. The outer mounting on the l/h trim has two square slots either side of the round cut out (top of image) & there are a row of wedges sticking out of the rear of the r/h trim not present on the l/h trim (circled bottom of image) which is probably why it won't push on all of the way as they're stopping it.

Upload 2016 10 14 15 15 29

Hi, just thought id bring this thread to a close. Hate unfinished threads. So, the problem of the wrong diffuser! Took another gamble and bought a single pipe diffuser that seemed identical in fitment as the one thats on the car. It arrived today and thankfully it fits! Big thanks to @ac2003 who was correct with the codings. My correct part turns out to be 8V3807521D. The other one i bought back in October was 8V5807521F/G which turned out to be from the Saloon hence why it didnt fit. The double exhaust diffuser that was on my car was 8V3807521F.

Reactions: richinsoton