S3 8L Track Rod Problem - Warped Hub??

DaveS3 2016

2000 Audi S3 8L -
Reaction score
Hi all,

Replaced tie rods and track rods last night and found that I still have play in the passengers side wheel. Noticed that when I undid the nut for the track rod it dropped straight out of the hub instead of needing a whack to release it.

It looks as though there has been previous play which has warped the taper on the hub that the track rod would sit into - has anyone had this before? Is it fixable or new hub needed?

Any thoughts appreciated.

thanks

Dave

New hub needed for sure. @Nathan Barnes may be able to sort you one from his car.

Reactions: Nathan Barnes
Thanks Shaun - appreciate the reply. I thought that would be the case however not the most mechanically experienced so just wanted to check :)

Best to replace the pair or just one? Was tempted to paint them.

message sent to Nathan now :D

You should only need to replace that side providing the other is ok of course.

When you get your new hub you could have the wheel bearing replaced, while its off kinda thing for peace of mind.

The nut must have been loose allowing the joint to rattle about in the connection, wearing the socket.

Thanks @shaunevo6 , annoyingly the drivers side bearing is worn.. shame it wasn't all on one side only lol.

@ayfreetee think you are right, I swapped the track rod about 6 months ago and it only took minimal effort to get it out the hub then and the nut was slightly loose....I didnt think much of it so over time the new one must've had play and exaggerated it :(

Thanks guys