a3 knocking

jamzyg

Reaction score
just had cam belt and water pump replaced about 1 week ago now its started knocking bad i pulled over to take this video after this i switched engine off and waited 5-10 mins i started it back up and the knocking went away. so i got the car home still hasn't made this noise but im scared to drive it any ideas before i take it to a garage thanks

Hard to tell with a video, but could be a failed DMF.

Pistons hitting valves is pretty fatal for the engine. Just wondering if you had air in the water system. If the sound has gone I reckon it's cleared

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you think about it the engine idles around 800 rpm that's a lot of valves and pistons, the noise would be so much quicker. Check the timing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response it's done the noise again today soon as I turned the ignitor off I her a cluck sound so I fired car back up and it was doing the same noise as in the video I turned ignition off again and back on and sound has gone away really strange haven't a clue what it is

That sounds external to the engine. Have you taken the belt covers off and had a look under there. Sounds like something has come loose like a tensioner and allowing a belt to bounce but I doubt it would be on the cam side as it would slip if that were the case and your engine would be ruined. For all the time it would take I'd have a look and see if you can see any fresh scuff marks and at least rule that out.

its strange soon as it makes that noise i can turn car offf and back on and the knocking goes away

Simple solution, take it back to whoever did the cambelt. If the noise started just a week after it could be related to the work carried out.