Help Needed large amounts of white smoke

zoney

Reaction score
OK where to start i was out in the wifes A3 (51plate 1.9tdi with 116064 miles on the clock ) tonight while heading home in traffic at about 35mph i heard a small popping sound followed by clouds of white smoke from the exhaust and a rattleling sound when the engine reved . I stopped the car once safe to and checked for any pipes that may have come off but nothing car started fine abd ticking over no smoke . Once i moved the car huge clouds of white smoke again to the point i couldnt see what was behind me .

I had checked the oil when checking water levels and filled the windscreen washer bottle all was fiine . Checking the oil after the engine cooled the oil levels very low and the car will not start . What i have noticed it a pipe of the egr actuator has snapped and been glued in place at some time but not sure this would have cause the problem that ive got with her car now . Over the last few weeks shes noticed a smell when the cars been running but ive put that down to the cold at night and the fact the car doesnt do a lot less than 1000 miles per year i put it down to things getting sutted up and the car needing a good run to clear it out .

Diesels aren't good for low miles short journeys, engine doesn't get warm enough, better off with a petrol, as for the smoke, white smoke is normally steam, as the engine is ingesting water, usually the head gasket at fault.

Thanks for the reply but the coolant level is at the level where its been for the last few years on the car and for the amount of smoke that was coming out i cant see it been water . Just checked the oil again and from been full yesterday when checked its near enough off the dip stick so im guessing oil thats been burnt but as for the cause of it im really struggling to find out theres no signs of oil leaks what so ever . So im guessing maybe blown turbo ??????? but yet again could that butn through a full sump of oil with in 30 seconds ?

It sounds like your engine is consuming the engine oil as fuel, drawing it into the inlet track somehow, possibly the turbo, but I wouldn't have thought it possible to use that much oil that quickly, you couldn't even drain the oil that quick. Check all the breather pipes and pcv system for blockages and splits.

Well finally goto the bottom of whats wrong with the car the turbo has blown big style the intercooler is full of oil along with a egr actuator pipe that has snapped off and was glued in place some time before we bought the car . Its going to cost £600 to repair parts on order should have the car back on the road by monday with a bit of luck and the garage thats doing the work getting the parts deliverd on time

Reactions: scotty_24