Discs and Pads Change: Advice needed.

Jamie TDI140

Bearded Coal Chucker
Reaction score
Hi all,

Car: 2.0 tdi sport (BKD)

Now I'm no mechanic, but ive done a few things on previous cars and changed a few brake discs and pads before. All im after is some info before I tackle it...

I have all the relevant jacks, axle stands, chocks, various (loose) spanners flying around (still saving up for a decent and complete set), I just want to know bolt/screw sizes and any info that will make my life a bit easier and get the job done quicker, as it's supposed to rain this weekend haha.

Cheers, Jamie.

Buy a metric socket set, much cheaper than buying all the items separately. Keep and eye on the Halfords website, they often have offers on their range. Halfords Professional are the best ones there. I have a Teng Tools socket set, the sockets grip the flats of the nut or bolt, good for chewed up corners.
Buy a rubber mallet, it's handy for loosening and persuading stuck brake disks & pads without damaging anything.
A wire bush and brake cleaner aerosol, everything to do with re-assembling brakes needs to be cleaned and oil free.
You'll need a set of Torx drivers eventually when tackling other jobs like interior trim, bumpers, there are a lot Torxs screws on Audis.

I could go on but that's your starter kit.

Last edited:
Buy a metric socket set, much cheaper than buying all the items separately. Keep and eye on the Halfords website, they often have offers on their range. Halfords Professional are the best ones there. I have a Teng Tools socket set, the sockets grip the flats of the nut or bolt, good for chewed up corners.

Halfords have actually got 50% off all advanced set's at the minute, but im in the midst of paying of a holiday to new York, booking excursions for it, saving for a mortgage and all the other usual crap. so I only really had enough to buy the replacement discs and pads etc. this month. I do have a mate with a trade card too who i'll take down with me when the time comes (I'm thinking a Christmas present for myself :yes:)

all I'm after is info on sizes so I can try and dig out the relevant spanners/sockets for when I do it, but no biggy if not really.

Front

Front

rear
Rear

I changed the brakes and suspension the other weekend I can't remember which ones but I need a spline socket to remove some of the bolts and also a piston pusher tool to push the caliper piston in as it has to be pushed and turned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy a rubber mallet, it's handy for loosening and persuading stuck brake disks & pads without damaging anything.
A wire bush and brake cleaner aerosol, everything to do with re-assembling brakes needs to be cleaned and oil free.
You'll need a set of Torx drivers eventually when tackling other jobs like interior trim, bumpers, there are a lot Torxs screws on Audis.

I could go on but that's your starter kit.

And plenty of copper grease on everything.

that's fantastic, just what I needed!

I changed the brakes and suspension the other weekend I can't remember which ones but I need a spline socket to remove some of the bolts and also a piston pusher tool to push the caliper piston in as it has to be pushed and turned.

by the looks of the above image, the only spline screw is the one hold the disk to the hub.
ignore the small text above, I read the image wrong like a tool

And plenty of copper grease on everything.

I have loads of copper grease, ceramic grease and other stuff, but ive left the lot round a mates house, and he's currently sunning himself in furtaventure (or however you spell it).:blink:

Last edited:
Best to beg, borrow steal Jamie if your holiday is eating up your cash.

Best to beg, borrow steal Jamie if your holiday is eating up your cash.

I normally do to be fair, but my mate that's away is who I normally borrow off haha (friends group is small, most my old school mates shove stuff up their nose on weekends to get their kicks). I'm terms of copper grease i'll ask around, if not i'll just buy some more, cant hurt to stock up on the kind of stuff really.