A3 8L 1.8t cooling fan problem

Nathxn__

Reaction score
Hi,
The vehicle is an 2001 a3 8l 1.8t Quattro & I have an unusual problem regarding my cooling fans, any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

So the cooling fans do not come on at all (driving around, sitting in traffic nothing) however when I turn on my heater blower on via the climate control, the fans will run constantly even when the engine is cold. When I turn the heater off the fans will switch off again to the point it would cook itself. I have replaced rad control module & rad switch and fuses on top of battery are fine.

I'm going to replace the the fans this weekend with new ones to see if this cures it.

If anyone has seen or experienced anything similar to this and found a solution or has any guidance, please share it here.

Thankyou for your time.

Hey,

I will use your thread, if I may.
I have the same exact problem. The fan/s wont start at speed1, however when the engine is a bit hot, fan/s are working on speed2 to cool (all with A/C switched off). When A/C is on both fans are working on speed1. I checked fan control module too and is all good http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...an-control-Module-or-have-fans-run-on-high#11
I unplugged both connectors of fans to check 6V and 12V and are working just fine on both speed.
I checked fuses (driver side), all are fine, but I noticed something strange when I take out fuse number 16, both fans start working on speed1(sometimes without keys) (fuse 16-10A-magnetic clutch, elec. water pump).

Thanks!

Hello I discovered the fault if you didn't find it by now, it was the A/C pressure switch that was faulty.

Reactions: Alex C
Hello I discovered the fault if you didn't find it by now, it was the A/C pressure switch that was faulty.
Thank you Sir, my hat off to you. Literally changed everything and this sorted my issue - AC pressure switched.
Legend for posting