2.0 Tdi Starting Problem

A4-SBlackEdition

Reaction score
I have noticed recently that my 2.0 TDI seems to splutter when I start it after it has been sat over night. Starts fine after its been running and also if i try a second time it starts instantly. Anyone else had similar issues?

Thank you

I have noticed recently that my 2.0 TDI seems to splutter when I start it after it has been sat over night. Starts fine after its been running and also if i try a second time it starts instantly. Anyone else had similar issues?

Thank you
Bit of a long shot but I copied a post in another forum .This particular fella had similar issues to yours.Here's the outcome to what fixed it for him.As I said a bit of a long shot??
  1. icon1.png
    Re: TDI 170 poor cold starting – 04-12-2012,11:46 AM

Ok, car went into independent garage a while ago, they found the crankshaft sensor fault code and reset it without replacing it. next morning it started poorly with them and the crank sensor fault code returned. They replaced the crank sensor and whilst doing so (its a bitch of a job apparently) they found the air intake flap housing was the most clogged up one they have ever seen for any car, apparently 40% reduced gap size at resting position. They cleaned this also. That was 6 days ago. Very first morning after the work, the car started on second attempt (normally between 4 and 6), and since then it starts every time, first time, no acceleration needed or anything, just let the glow plug light go out and turn the key, voila
    smile.png
    . £200 and its fingers crossed it carries on behaving
    smile.png

Thought i'd post the update as when i read a lot of posts on here, people often post all about their problem, but seldom post about how it went away...

2. Post Thanks / Like
    likes.png
    micheal balbrig liked this post

Reactions: A4-SBlackEdition and Scottyg
Do you do lots of short journeys? I found on the A3 and TT diesels that if you do a lot of short journeys, over time the starter motor seems to run for longer before the engine fires. I've never had any spluttering tho. I think diesels really do benefit from frequent long blasts on the motorway at constant speeds.

Reactions: pburv
Do you do lots of short journeys? I found on the A3 and TT diesels that if you do a lot of short journeys, over time the starter motor seems to run for longer before the engine fires. I've never had any spluttering tho. I think diesels really do benefit from frequent long blasts on the motorway at constant speeds.
Don't really do that many short journeys gets a good run of steady 60mph to work. Always does start just takes a bit more ticking before ignition sparks up....

Bit of a long shot but I copied a post in another forum .This particular fella had similar issues to yours.Here's the outcome to what fixed it for him.As I said a bit of a long shot??
  1. icon1.png
    Re: TDI 170 poor cold starting – 04-12-2012,11:46 AM

Ok, car went into independent garage a while ago, they found the crankshaft sensor fault code and reset it without replacing it. next morning it started poorly with them and the crank sensor fault code returned. They replaced the crank sensor and whilst doing so (its a bitch of a job apparently) they found the air intake flap housing was the most clogged up one they have ever seen for any car, apparently 40% reduced gap size at resting position. They cleaned this also. That was 6 days ago. Very first morning after the work, the car started on second attempt (normally between 4 and 6), and since then it starts every time, first time, no acceleration needed or anything, just let the glow plug light go out and turn the key, voila
    smile.png
    . £200 and its fingers crossed it carries on behaving
    smile.png

Thought i'd post the update as when i read a lot of posts on here, people often post all about their problem, but seldom post about how it went away...

2. Post Thanks / Like
    likes.png
    micheal balbrig liked this post
Thanks for the info. Will look into this