1.6 FSI misfire issues

NashB

Reaction score
Hello

I was after some advice with some ongoing issues I have with my A3 1.6 fsi.

I have had these issues for over a year. The car on idle has a very slight misfire but is fine when on throttle. Also once the car warms up it sounds like it is pinking. There is no loss of power. And when cold no pinking. Im not sure if the 2 issues are related. There are no warning lamps on and no codes on a scanner.

I have researched this on the web extensively but there are so many possibilities! Just wondered if anyone else had come across anything similiar or can point me int he right direction.

I use super unleaded most of the time and the fuel doesn't seem to make any difference.

I would check your coil packs mate, they could be the problem, as my last a3 was the 1.6 fsi. I had similar problem with misfiring and got worse under load with mine.
They are really bad for failing too.

Thanks Stuart for your reply. I was thinking coil packs or injectors. I say injectors because of the pinking I get also when upto temperature but it could be not related at all.

Do you think its worth buying one coil pack and try changing one at a time or change the lot? My misfire is so slight and under load non-existent.

It's personal preference of you want to change one at a time mate, it's likely if one is on its road out the others will follow shortly, I replaced 2 at first then ended up changing the other 2 to be on the safe side. And never had a problem after I done that.

I had pinking with mine too, even after I changed the coil packs, it wasn't all the time either. Never figured out why it done it either.