Keys - what should my car have come with

V8_Disco

Reaction score
hi all

Wondering what keys my car should have come with there is talk of a plastic emergency key?

When I got the car it only had one fob ... Now after an evening of kayaking it's flashing but the car does nothing :-/ it was in a waterproof bag etc

So I think I need to get a new key fob ... Any tips but interested if there is an option that allows me to get in the car that's not going to be damaged by water ... Both BMW and Ford have options that do that ... I can then leave my expensive electronic key away from the water!

Any tips on getting the replacement .... I assume Audi will want my kidney as down payment

Cheers

Aidan

I assume Audi will want my kidney as down payment

From what I hear they will !!!

As far as I understand you should have two key fobs and a plastic emergency key, that's what I have at least.

Have you tried the obvious...changed the battery? it may be worth a shot

Reactions: V8_Disco
Mine only came with one FOB and it works about 90% of the time, I'm gonna replace my battery and see how I get on and I'll let you know. Also interested to know if Audi do that FOB, I'll want to get a second or even a spare plastic key.

Going to try a battery and at least with this car there are locks and I can drive it!

But I will need to sort at least one more key out ... I don't have the plastic one I hear they should be in the glovebox but not mine is it hidden?

Any clues on replacements ... Costs seam all over the shop! Thanks for the the advice

why would a spare key be in the glove box! if you get locked out then the spare is no good? unless you want to break the window in which case defeats the purpose of having a spare. Also not sure this statement is what your insurers want to hear, unless i am missing something. i have been known to have a Blonde moment or 2 or 3 etc etc...lol.

but always have a spare. a much cheaper alternative to getting a locksmith out.

It's apprently where Audi put the "plastic" key nothing in mine ... I found it it would be coming out!

You can always get a second hand fob off eBay.....but make sure it's the same frequency as the one you have now. Then it's just a case of having a new key blade cut and recoded to the car.

You can always get a second hand fob off eBay.....but make sure it's the same frequency as the one you have now. Then it's just a case of having a new key blade cut and recoded to the car.
Ohh that's interesting, dum question how do I tell the frequency?

If you flip your key out it will be printed in the channel where the key sits when folded in.....iirc it should be 433Mhz for the B7's

I only know they are different is because my mate bought one for his A3 and it was the wrong frequency for his