Windows 10 PC: how to use D drive partition

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I've just bought a new pc, with Windows 10. It's got a 2TB hard drive, partitioned into 150GB for the C drive and the rest for the D drive. The D drive is labelled "Data". So far, all the software I've downloaded has defaulted to the C drive, and all of the standard folders such as documents, music, pictures etc. default straight to the C drive. Having backed up all my exisitng folders and files from the old PC to the new one, I've nearly filled the C drive whilst the D drive is untouched.

How to I access it? Or can I just eliminate the partition and merge C & D together into one?

Hope someone can help with some vary basis "for dummies" instructions as I'm very IT illiterate.

Thanks.

have you told the PC where to save things?
typically save as, then direct it to the folders in D drive you wish to save it ?
A PC wont know where to save things if you haven't told it or set this in options for each bit of software,

When you save Log files from VCDS there is a part where you tell it where to save logs, Photo/Torrent SW will also give these options,
typically on a new PC when it asks you this for the first time there may be a "Do this every time" type tick box,

to remove D and merge with C would require a format and re-installation of your OS, so from the level of question originally asked I dont think this would be a option for yourself.

hth

Reactions: jdp1962
That's not correct, you wouldn't need to format to be able to merge, Jeff, bell me this afternoon I'll happily advise.

You can remap the locations to the d, but I would suggest an alternative.

I've just bought a new pc, with Windows 10. It's got a 2TB hard drive, partitioned into 150GB for the C drive and the rest for the D drive. The D drive is labelled "Data". So far, all the software I've downloaded has defaulted to the C drive, and all of the standard folders such as documents, music, pictures etc. default straight to the C drive. Having backed up all my exisitng folders and files from the old PC to the new one, I've nearly filled the C drive whilst the D drive is untouched.

How to I access it? Or can I just eliminate the partition and merge C & D together into one?

Hope someone can help with some vary basis "for dummies" instructions as I'm very IT illiterate.

Thanks.
You can use 3rd party partitioning tools to take the D drive and merge (not the correct term) it with the C. You will need to move everything that is on D to other storage, perhaps the C drive if you have enough space.

Option 2 would be to point all your storage like Documents, Pictures etc to the D drive.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

That's not correct, you wouldn't need to format to be able to merge, Jeff, bell me this afternoon I'll happily advise.

You can remap the locations to the d, but I would suggest an alternative.
Will do, bud.