S3 100K

Rob C

Audi Owner
Reaction score
So my S3 has just done 100K miles and it's been services every 10K in my ownership (50K) and recently had a big service including cambelt, water pump and cam follower. I was wondering whether there are any precautionary bits that people suggest replacing?

After reading the forum recently, cam chain + tensioner and oil pick up pipe are on my list. Should there be anything else?

Also today I noticed a rattle when idling when cold, this seemed to disappear when it warmed up. What could this be?

Sorry for the questions but after reading about peoples recent misfortunes I would like to get this sorted / prevent anything disastrous from happening.

Thanks in advance!

I'd 100% recommend getting the cam chain and tensioner both done, I'm surprised your tensioner has made it this far & long to be honest! Had mine done yesterday, it went a couple of weeks ago and the VAG garage said I was right to stop driving it and get them both replaced asap as the chain would've snapped very soon causing ££££'s worth of damage.

When funds are available I'll be getting my oil pickup pipe checked, definitely get this done as well. Storm Devs have yet to confirm that this was the cause but it currently looks like this is the reason as to why leshkin needs a new engine unfortunately..

Not too sure on what the rattle on cold idle could be, upload a video if you can as that always helps to diagnose problems.

Regarding what else to have done, when was the last time you had a Haldex service?

I would change the chain + tensioner as well, even as a precautionary measure.

I'd 100% recommend getting the cam chain and tensioner both done, I'm surprised your tensioner has made it this far & long to be honest! Had mine done yesterday, it went a couple of weeks ago and the VAG garage said I was right to stop driving it and get them both replaced asap as the chain would've snapped very soon causing ££££'s worth of damage.

When funds are available I'll be getting my oil pickup pipe checked, definitely get this done as well. Storm Devs have yet to confirm that this was the cause but it currently looks like this is the reason as to why leshkin needs a new engine unfortunately..

Not too sure on what the rattle on cold idle could be, upload a video if you can as that always helps to diagnose problems.

Regarding what else to have done, when was the last time you had a Haldex service?

It was Leshkin's post that made me want to take these precautions!

The haldex was serviced not that long ago

It was Leshkin's post that made me want to take these precautions!

The haldex was serviced not that long ago

It's a shame to hear in anyone's case, but especially so when it's someone who looks after their car well!

Cool, well as you have it regularly serviced and nothings come out of them, then that just leaves the cam chain, tensioner and the oil pickup pipe to be done.

Reactions: Rob C
What's the rough cost on that? I'm 60k at the mo but I intend to keep the car a while

mjr901 (Mike) on here provided me with all of the parts required (chain, tensioner, 3 bolts for tensioner, end case gasket and rocker cover gasket) for £178 and then I got a VAG garage to fit it all for £240.

Reactions: Raiden
That's not bad then. I thought it might be the same as the R32. Think that's about £1000

That's not bad then. I thought it might be the same as the R32. Think that's about £1000

£1000 ouch!

Makes the £420 not seem as bad, especially when compared to the cost of a new engine/engine rebuild if the cam chain snaps due to the tensioner failing. It does sound so much better after getting it done, not as diesely thank god.

R32 has the rear mounted cam chain, that's why it's expensive. S3's are more like the Golf GTI of the same year.

Reactions: Raiden
S
Also today I noticed a rattle when idling when cold, this seemed to disappear when it warmed up. What could this be?

This could just be the fact that it takes a little longer for the oil to both warm up and also to reach the head once you've started the engine? So perhaps the pickup pipe is dirty? Or may be it's another rattle altogether! At least you are changing the pick-up pipe, so some peace of mind there.

Reactions: Rob C
Just saw this thread - yes, I'd definitely get the cam chain tensioner checked out at the very least at that mileage. To be fair, if you are there, might as well get the lot replaced for piece of mind.

I actually have the full service kit with a few extra replacement parts that include replacement bolts, seals and gaskets that are required to do this, which I was going to get fitted before my plans changed. Seeing as I won't be needing those parts anymore, I'm happy to offer them at a slightly lower price, just PM me. If not, it'll go in the classifieds in a week or so.

Do the earlier S3's have a cam chain as I thought they all had a belt??

Fuel filter is something that often gets overlooked as it's not any Audi service schedule.

Reactions: leshkin
They all have a belt, which drives the exhaust cam (I think), but the intake cam is connected to the exhaust cam via a chain/chain tensioner assembly on the opposite side to the engine.

Reactions: nluk100
So the S3 is all booked in for cam chain + tensioner and oil pickup pipe.

@leshkin Thanks for the offer but I've already got my mate onto sourcing the bits and he's normally very competitive.

Reactions: leshkin
So the S3 is all booked in for cam chain + tensioner and oil pickup pipe.

@leshkin Thanks for the offer but I've already got my mate onto sourcing the bits and he's normally very competitive.
Had all mine done at 70k for peice of mind as I've played about with it as you know , the sump was disgusting when I had the pick up pipe changed