Which A3 tdi to go for

Richjt

Reaction score
i currently have a TT tfsi 2.0 s-Tronic 2008, I am looking at changing to an A3 Sportback because I now need the extra space.
I've decided to want a diesel because from March-November go back and forth to Devon a fair bit. I am not sure wether to go for the 140 or the 170, s-Tronic, manual or Quattro I'm looking at vehicles 2010 onwards.
Would be interested to hear any advise members have.
Cheers in advance

Deffo 2010 onwards cars. Deffo S-tronic and deffo the 170.

You don't need quattro for motorway mileage, but the S-tronic and that bit extra power make all the difference.

Are the dsg's stronger units now as on my TT I needed to have a new mechatronic unit fitted

Yes the mechatronics issues were with the early units, my car is 2009 and never had any problems with it, but a quick 10min on google should support what I'm saying. Those problems were ironed out long time ago on the diesels as far as I know.

140 every time. Enough power if you need it and not dogged by dpf problems like the 170.

I have a 2011 170 Quattro manual and love it .. I'm a manual man but if you were doing long journeys just make sure you get one with cruise control ..

Remember it's only 4 wheels drive if it starts to slips , Always handy to have

Booted it in the wet and sticks to the road well .. Love it

I've got a 2009 170 Tdi Manual done 85k, i love it; not had any problems just the usual servicing bits to keep her happy. just make sure you do the miles, as others have suggested if you can get an S-tronic i'd definitely go for that myself. it's one thing i wish i had.

Let's just hope i haven't jinxed myself lol.

Hi guys thanks for the replies, test drove a few yesterday
Ibis white 170 Quattro 3 door black edition 2011
Glacier white 140 Sportback black edition 2012
Grey 170 Sportback s-line open sky roof 2012
Red 170 s-Tronic black edition 2012

Couldn't fault the Quattro but don't think 3 door would suit 57k on the clock
140 would have been nice but about 5 miles in the glow plug symbol started flashing and we seemed to go into limp mode couldn't get over about 2500 revs 29k on the clock
170 with open sky lovely drive plenty of torque nice and light with the pano roof but less extras than the black editions 39k on the clock
170 auto the only auto probably the nicest to drive out of the line up 34k on the clock

I think the s-Tronic was the closest to my TT I fact you couldn't even feel the gear changes it was that smooth.
I did like the white 140 that was immaculate inside and out apart from the limp mode any ideas what caused that

Whoever said about DPF problems, you're looking at 2010 or newer cars @Richjt so both 140 and 170 engine have DPF and EGR so you can ignore that...

Audi did change what you got in a 'black edition' from time to time but mine is black edition and I love it. Bose sound system is a very nice system to say its a stock audio system from factory, multi function flat bottom steering with paddles too is lovely etc etc...

I can't help but feel there's no use for the panoramic roof on a car that'll be doing motorway miles. When I got my car I was doing some motorway driving and hence the pan roof didn't feature on my list of things I wanted.

The black edition auto was a nice spec, the usual black edition Bose,xenon,privacy glass, phone prep flat bottom wheel etc. Plus rear parking system,cruise,flat tyre ind and heated seats.
Just a shame it didn't have the rnse nav, the only one with that was the 3 door so it looks like an aftermarket unit if I want that option

You could always buy an RNSE unit from eBay and retrofit it.

I've always had a Panoramic roof on my Audis and on the old Golf, it's a must have for me. Trying to get the right options that you need is hard in a used car. You can retrofit just about anything except the Panoramic roof or the Stronic box so if they are your main 'wants' buy a car that already has one or both of these and fit other extras later. The wife and I find parking sensors a nuisance due to the beeping when you put in reverse, drives me mad and who really needs them with a hatchback. Luckily I found an A3 2.0tfsi Sline with Pan roof, Quattro, Stronic box and no parking sensors, perfect, and only 2 available in the whole country, you have to travel to find the right car for You. I have since fitted Satnav and rear camera, a simple retrofit. Only need the camera when reversing to pick up my trailer.

The black edition auto was a nice spec, the usual black edition Bose,xenon,privacy glass, phone prep flat bottom wheel etc. Plus rear parking system,cruise,flat tyre ind and heated seats.
Just a shame it didn't have the rnse nav, the only one with that was the 3 door so it looks like an aftermarket unit if I want that option

RNS-E is so cheap on eBay it's no reason to turn a car down if everything else is there...

I'd go for the one with the panoramic roof, because It's a unique option; it's much rarer. As Soot1 said, you can pretty much reto-fit the other black edition stuff.

Hi guys thanks for the replies, test drove a few yesterday
Ibis white 170 Quattro 3 door black edition 2011
Glacier white 140 Sportback black edition 2012
Grey 170 Sportback s-line open sky roof 2012
Red 170 s-Tronic black edition 2012

Couldn't fault the Quattro but don't think 3 door would suit 57k on the clock
140 would have been nice but about 5 miles in the glow plug symbol started flashing and we seemed to go into limp mode couldn't get over about 2500 revs 29k on the clock
170 with open sky lovely drive plenty of torque nice and light with the pano roof but less extras than the black editions 39k on the clock
170 auto the only auto probably the nicest to drive out of the line up 34k on the clock

I think the s-Tronic was the closest to my TT I fact you couldn't even feel the gear changes it was that smooth.
I did like the white 140 that was immaculate inside and out apart from the limp mode any ideas what caused that

That would be EGR valve happened on my 140 so I had it mapped and deleted

I'd go for the one with the panoramic roof, because It's a unique option; it's much rarer. As Soot1 said, you can pretty much reto-fit the other black edition stuff.

Agree pan roof is amazing option, however, my logic was that doing mostly motorway mileage I had no use for it, I would never be able to open it and much rather have a proper roof for the quietness - mine is deadened and has some noise blocking/absorbing material over the top as well.

Around town though, cars with pan roof open do look awesome!