Saloon roof rack - options?

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
So I'm due to go to the east coast for a short break and it's apparent that even though the a4 has a large boot, it's still not big enough now I'm with child.

I'm due to go to the lakes in 9 weeks for a week and it's got me thinking, I'm struggling now with a short break so a weeks going to be a nightmage, I'll be driving with a suit case on my lap haha.

Anyway I'm going to Purchase a set of roof racks, so what the best option to go for? Want to spend around £100ish as still need to buy a aero box to go on it.

I use an roof box and a trailer dani and still not enough room....lol, I think its my good lady's wardrobe that is to blame, me and the dogs can get away with just one suitcase between us.....lol

roof box's give you heaps of room but they can be expensive, if going that route get a decent one ,try and get one with 2 or 3 locking mechanism on the side to prevent the wind lifting the lid up, I bought mine about 4 years ago now, its a mountblanc item in black and It's like a tardis mate, just will take a heap of stuff.
got it from my local paper for £50 and it was as new just used once, they still sell for £300 upwards today so a mega bargain, well it was his fault for advertising it as a Toyota item when it was actually a montblanc.....

as an avant owner I already have the roof rails but didn't have the bars, had a rummage through the garage and found a set of merc roof bars from our previous 2004 E320 estate, they fitted spot on , so saved £100 plus for a set of decent roof bars.

I doubt very much you'll get all the kit for that money if its new, unless you find it used etc.

picky, ignore the woofer.
IMG 1007

Reactions: James_TDi
Thanks for the input guys.

Yeah, I now realise the budget of £100 ain't going to happen, it's going to be £150ish for a decent set of not a little more, the aero bars look the best bet. That combined with a roof box is going to be around £350 for the lot.

Seen a exodus kit at halfords for £350, anyone any experiences with them?

yep , agree with james, these mont blancs are well built and an excellent box, I like the way you cant leave it unlocked and take the key out, which is a bonus for me as I have the roof box key on my ignition key ring, so no chance of driving of with it unlocked..lol

I've just recently swapped from a saloon to an avant and have the Thule fitting kit (1212) and feet (754) for a set of Thule bars, you would just need a set of 961 bars and they would fit perfectly. That's the setup I had on my b6 salon but they fit the b7 too. I fitted four bike carriers with mountain bikes on no problem so plenty of room for a roof box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dani_B19