Removing A4 aluminium dash/door/centre console trim....

Nessy

VW + Audi mad
Reaction score
I've had a good look of this site using the search function but can't seem to find any info on how to remove the trim from the dash/door/centre console.....
Thought I'd read about it on here several months ago so am a bit puzzled!
Any tips /info gratefully received as I've purchased a new set of Genuine dash trim that I want to fit but first need to get the old trim off!

Thanks.

Paul

Nessy said:
I've had a good look of this site using the search function but can't seem to find any info on how to remove the trim from the dash/door/centre console.....
Thought I'd read about it on here several months ago so am a bit puzzled!
Any tips /info gratefully received as I've purchased a new set of Genuine dash trim that I want to fit but first need to get the old trim off!

Thanks.

Paul
what colour have you got and what are you replacing it with?

i have done this myself i couldnt have done this with this link showing how

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int21.shtml

hope this helps

I changed mine from wood to ally a few months back, not too difficult to do, but it can take a while releasing the various bits of dash to get at the trims. Oh, and be prepared to see your car looking like this!...
as2.jpg

Although I don't think it was totally nessicary to remove the whole centre console to get the dash trim out, but as I was going from wood, I had a wood ash tray which needed changing.

Cheers for the info, looks like a bit more work than I thought, nevermind tho'!
Will put my hand up and confess that I'm going from ali trim to wood, cue cries of derision I know, but I really hate the textured aluminium trim car currently has, and which really doesn't suit IMHO the leather interior......

Have just picked up my car and it's a great spec but with the wood dash...would love carbon/alu look. Anyone got any ideas where you can buy aftermarket kits that look like the original or am I going to have to visit the scrapie?

I have cream leather - and I know the wood goes, but feel like I'm driving an solicitors office around - any suggestions on colors?

Anyone any experience of these people? Seems cheap?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INNENVERKLEIDUNG-Audi-alle-A4-Alu-Nuss-Carbon-Mahagoni_W0QQitemZ200024989873QQihZ010QQcategoryZ72932QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

macmukka said:
Have just picked up my car and it's a great spec but with the wood dash...would love carbon/alu look. Anyone got any ideas where you can buy aftermarket kits that look like the original or am I going to have to visit the scrapie?

I have cream leather - and I know the wood goes, but feel like I'm driving an solicitors office around - any suggestions on colors?

Anyone any experience of these people? Seems cheap?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INNENVERKLEIDUNG-Audi-alle-A4-Alu-Nuss-Carbon-Mahagoni_W0QQitemZ200024989873QQihZ010QQcategoryZ72932QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this defo looks like the stick on type.

Just to add to that tech article which was posted. I trimmed mine in alcantara and found that if you twisted the retaining clips instead of trying to prize them off, they kinda tuned the plastic peg into a screw and screwed off, loads easier than mangeling the clips and your hands up the back of the dash

I just called up an audi breakers and they've told me that wood was standard or on the majority of cars they seem from facelift 99 onwards - is that true? Was aluminium an option?

If so, I could be waiting a long long time...

billybravo said:
ive been waiting for along time also for some carbon trim
I spotted some on Ebay a while ago, and when i realised he was local to me, i made an offer. Then they were mine!!!!:thrashi:

I have them sat here waiting for me to find some decent front door cards. Cos mine is 98.5 it has the newer type cards in it with the puddle lights and flashing alarm led,this makes them harder to find, dunno why

macmukka said:
I just called up an audi breakers and they've told me that wood was standard or on the majority of cars they seem from facelift 99 onwards - is that true? Was aluminium an option?

If so, I could be waiting a long long time...

i thought it was the other way round wood trim seem to be standard pre '99 (facelift)
you can still fit pre '99 bar one thing the wood trim around the radio is different. the 4 door trims and 2 dash trim pieces. the facelift wood trim youll notice the main difference is the trim around the hazard switch, ashtray and trim around gear lever.

audiwoodkit.jpg

Well i have started painting my trims a nice gloss black with a clear coat also

still need to do the dash but all the doors are done.

and it looks so much better than the wood im happy with it good cheap mod all in all.

IMAGE_00025.jpg

IMAGE_00024.jpg

IMAGE_00023.jpg

im really pleased with it im going to do the dash inserts next week and i have to somehow flush a screen in where my radio is that will be done in the next few months

phantom can i ask where you got your lights from and how much where they

ebay.com/.co.uk

'Solar' Angel Eyes - £160 delivered [black or chrome]
'Solar' Rear Lights - £60 delivered [black or chrome]

Those are prices i found on ebay :)....they are made by solar and fit perfectly, no arch work or nothing, just need to do some re-wiring to wire the sidelights to your angels. Takes about 5 mins each light.

:)

billybravo said:
Well i have started painting my trims a nice gloss black with a clear coat also

still need to do the dash but all the doors are done.

and it looks so much better than the wood im happy with it good cheap mod all in all.

looks good what did you use on it? u must have had to lightly sand the trims down?

yeah i removed all the trims and gave them a really good rubbing down with 600 wet&dry's the wood already has a clear coat so i didnt need to prime the wood. the handles had to be plastic primed i used a whole can on the handles and when dry flatted down with 800 wet&drys

then i coated everything in black nice light coats and a rub down with 1500 wet&drys after every coat (was spraying outside this was to get rid of bits of crap in the paint)

then a few coats of clear over everything

when they was dry i flatted everything down to a matt look with 1500 and gave them a good polish back up to gloss

hope this help as its 5.46 in the morning and im off to work in a mo :(