Both cluster needles flashing after engine turn off ?

Bittern

Reaction score
First time I've noticed this after driving to work this morning with no trouble. Pulled up then switched off then take the key out, after the inside light goes out and the cluster DIS powers down the 2 needles start to flash ?. Even after locking the car they start flashing again(I checked after an hour and they are still flashing?).

Car drove ok, car starts up OK, no error message anywhere, so I don't know what it is.

My car is a 8v 2.0 TDI

I have a DTUK box and a pedal box installed, no problems with them after using them for a couple of months know. I do not drive my car hard!

Any ideas guys ?

Reactions: pburv
Can't say I've noticed it when switched off completely, but I have on occasion noticed that when my engine cuts at traffic lights for example via start/stop, the speedo and rev clusters flash at me until it restarts and they become permanent again. I'm not sure this is normal so keeping an eye on it.

Reactions: Bittern
Well i drove 60 miles(around 1hr 30mins) back from work then elsewhere with no problems at all, so i don't know what it is. If they want to flash then go on then ?.

I'm having a oil change done this mid June, so if its still doing it i might mention it to Audi while they have my car!

Reactions: Rob2k68
First time I've noticed this after driving to work this morning with no trouble. Pulled up then switched off then take the key out, after the inside light goes out and the cluster DIS powers down the 2 needles start to flash ?. Even after locking the car they start flashing again(I checked after an hour and they are still flashing?).

Car drove ok, car starts up OK, no error message anywhere, so I don't know what it is.

My car is a 8v 2.0 TDI

I have a DTUK box and a pedal box installed, no problems with them after using them for a couple of months know. I do not drive my car hard!

Any ideas guys ?
I'm no expert so some one could correct me??
Is it possible that the small led lights on the circuit board that light up the needles could be faulty?
I recall it an issue on other Audi models A4 etc..
Usually when led's fail they tend to start flickering first...:shrug:

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Bittern
I'm no expert so some one could correct me??
Is it possible that the small led lights on the circuit board that light up the needles could be faulty?
I recall it an issue on other Audi models A4 etc..
Usually when led's fail they tend to start flickering first...:shrug:

Its strange that if i do anything in the car, for example - press the door locking switch, open the door etc etc they stop flashing(which is very dimly). And when i start the car they are perfect. It seems that when the car is powering down they do it. But even still do it after the ecu has powered down ?.

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion anyway

Reactions: pburv
Its strange that if i do anything in the car, for example - press the door locking switch, open the door etc etc they stop flashing(which is very dimly). And when i start the car they are perfect. It seems that when the car is powering down they do it. But even still do it after the ecu has powered down ?.

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion anyway
No worries mate.Sorry I couldn't help you any further and I hope you get to the bottom of it soon..:salute:

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Bittern
Update - PROBLEM SOLVED!

Well yesterday I unplugged the pedal box to see if that was the cause, it still did it. Then I turned off the DTUK tuning box, and it was still flashing on shut down grrrrr

So then by the off chance I thought the only thing I did recently was pressing the 0.0 button on the instrument cluster to reset the mileage trip after filling up with diesel. So with the engine off i pressed the button again (which also displays the DIS) it does seem a bit sticky. I think what happened it must of stayed stuck in, which was doing something to make the needles flash?.

Anyway there is NO more flashing after the shut down woo-hoo. Solved!

Reactions: Rob2k68, Ollie2014, pburv and 2 others