17/18 inch wheels

PDR Man

Reaction score
Hi.... I have a 2003 TDi with standard 15inch rims and balloon tyres, just wondered if putting 17 inch rims with low profile tyres is going to kill the ride and geometry?... are there any factory fitted 17 rims for this model ( I think they're 5x100 ).
Cheers

Hi.... I have a 2003 TDi with standard 15inch rims and balloon tyres, just wondered if putting 17 inch rims with low profile tyres is going to kill the ride and geometry?... are there any factory fitted 17 rims for this model ( I think they're 5x100 ).
Cheers

Lower profile tires are always going to give a harsher ride, should be a bit more stable when cornering though and a bit "pointier"... Changing alloys won't effect you geometry, it may make imperfect geo more obvious though.

17 or 18 inch wheels will fit fine, so long as width and offset is correct, I found my car drove a lot better on 17's though. The standard go to OEM wheel choice is generally the standard S3 avus rims, mk1 TT alloys or "TT rs" alloys as they're referred to.

Thanks for the reply, I like the S3 Avus rims...just need to find an immaculate set, or a cheap enough that can be refurbished.
Cheers

There is a set of S3 rims on gumtree and some TT comps as well.