removing tree sap residue

matt5594

Reaction score
okay i have a problem, came down to the car to go for a drive and it looks like someone's thrown a bottle of coke over it and it has that sticky residue that you get from spilling coke over the keyboard, but in like drops not streaks.

from the inside it looked like my windows had steamed up but that wasnt the case.

as i was in a rush and it started to bucket down in london, i quickly grabbed a old t-shirt/soapy water and tried to clean it off (i looked like a right *** cleaning my car in the pouring rain!) but wouldnt come off. as i needed to be somewhere, i left it as it was raining..

15 minutes of quite heavy rain and using the wipers and what do i get? black marks on the windscreen left by the wipers, probably due to the sticky crap. argh!

so i get to where im supposed to be, stop off at a BP station and after a good 30mins using up all their towels dipped in "screenwash" :) i could actually see through the front/rear windscreen! everything else, side windows, body panels are still stuck in this gunk so i need this removed soon.

concluded that it might be tree sap i need removing as i did park under a tree over the weekend (curses!), so i'm going to halfords tomorrow to pick up some "turtle wax bug and tar removing wipes" which are also useful on tree sap apparently, did a little research on these products and come up with a few questions:
- after using the wipes, would i need to rinse the car?
- is it safe using these bug+tar remover wipes on glass?
- reading about the spray on bug/tar removing, it mentions that i need to rewax the area after as those products can remove wax, true? if so, true for the wipes? also some have a waxing effect as which elimiates the need for this, apparently.
- how hard is it going to be to remove tree sap after its been on for a day (its been semi bright so not sure if it would have 'baked' the crap on there or not)

anyone that saw me today probably thought i didnt know what "clean" was given the state of the car. :/

You might try a Meguiars Clay Bar, followed by a good going over with Gold Class wax & polish.

Yeah Claybar may do it. Just remember this removes the wax so make sure you top up after..

would something simple like turtle wax tar+bug wipes also remove wax as well?

depends if my local halfords has it, checked the website and i saw the turtle wax tar/bug wipe, didnt really know which meguiars product to go for --what should i be looking out for?

i like the idea of using a wipe for its convinience..

woohoo the car doesnt look like its been in a fight with cokezilla anymore! :D

got the turtle wax tar+bug remover wipes to get rid of the hard to remove sticky residue, gave the car the once over (whilst sitting in halfords car park heh) with all of the 25 supplied wipes, very good product for getting rid of bugs, sap and stuff, quite easy to shift stuff, little elbow grease required but leaves a horrid finish on the glass and bodywork.

ran back inside and picked up some megs quick detailer spray and glass cleaner spray and one of their drying towels too.

went round with both sprays and now looks much better than it did even before the saps attacked.

only problem is that the tyres look grey compared to the bodywork, dont have the heart to go back into halfords again to pick up some of that tyre cleaning stuff, for now..

:)

To prevent this kind of thing happening again, you should use a sealant on the paint after waxing - it stops stuff sticking to the paint.

I'm using Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection at the moment which is really good. Poorboys EX-P is supposed to be good as well.

are there any spray-on sealants about that i could spray on and buff? im quite lazy and allergic to hard work you see :)

Not that I am aware of. You can get lots of spray on waxes, but they don't last that long. Sealants last of the order of months.