A4 2.8 Quattro

A3_Turbo

Swaying towards IHI....
Reaction score
Hi all my mums looking at a new audi to trade in part ex for her current a4 1.8 she wants something quick how does the quattro 2.8 go bhp would be good if some-one knew what it was?

theres 1 on the trader 3995 on an R plate what do you think guys?

Jason

It depends whether it's a 12 or a 30-valver. IIRC, the switch to 30-valves was during 1997, so a R-plate could possibly be either. The 12-valve had 170bhp, the 30-valve 193bhp.

I had a 99 on a T 2.8 Quattro Tiptronic, which replaced a 1.8 (non-turbo), so that sounds like your Mum would be making the same change. My 30-valver was pretty fast, but not monstrously so. You're probably looking at mid-seven to 8 seconds for 0-60, depending on whether it's manual or Tiptronic. The engine does need to be revved to get the best out of it, but it's very smooth, and has a very fluent feel to it. Keep in mind that it's a fast cruiser rather than a sports saloon, and you won't be disappointed.

Coming from a 1.8, it'll feel very nice indeed. Watch out for the fuel bills, though. These things need their own oil well.

I See 193 bhp i was expecting more.. shes had loads of fast cars over the years 3.0 TT GTO, R34 GTT skyline, just to name a few. Is the 2.8 Q A4 the quickest a4 u can get before u go into the S4'S?

Jason

yeah the R34 was lovely parents got divorced so it had to go.. she likes audis now i'll take a look at your supercharged quattro mate and let her know..

Jason

Jason_letts said:
Is the 2.8 Q A4 the quickest a4 u can get before u go into the S4'S?
Jason

It's the most powerful, but not necesarily the fastest. The 1.8T Quattro has 180bhp and in manual form is probably slightly quicker in a sprint (& certainly more nimble in corners, due to the lighter engine). They're very different characters, though. The 1.8T is sportier and has lots of modding potential, but doesn't have the refinement of the V6. Which you'd prefer is very much down to personal taste, but they're both fine cars.

Nope the 2.8 30v will beat a 1.8T in standard format but will be beat if chipped but the 2.8 will claw back at the 1.8T come midrange or on the motorway.

You say you saw a 2.8 for £4k make sure its a 30v as the 30v only started late October of 97 so it may be a 12v which as only 172bhp so bare that in mind.

My car as about 250bhp as the dyno man only took my car to 5,400rpm when she redlines to 6,500rpm and still making power.

Mines a 30v and that's on a P plate May 97, so an R should definately be 193bhp. I wouldn't describe the 2.8 as a quick car, 0-60 is 7.2secs so it's technically quick for a saloon but doesn't feel quick if that makes sense, and you have to get to 5k revs for any umph. I'd definately spend another £3k and get an S4 if she wants something Skyline quick.

S4 is the equivelant of the skyline bundles of torque worlds apart from the 2.8.