JB1 settings thread

OliS3

Reaction score
I know the jb1 isn't very popular Audis in the UK but it's still worth a thread. I've recently got one and I've yet to write a review but in short I'm very happy coming from a dtuk box. This thread is to discuss settings on a JB1 box.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rob2k68
As recommended to me as a starting ground on 99ron.

Try these settings out. Should be ok for 99Ron. If you feel hesitations in the high rpm go back to map 1 5.0 which will give you overall better performance. With these settings you will have a bit less torque but a linear feel
1500 0
2000 2
2500 3
3000 3.5
3500 4
4000 4.8
4500 5.0
5000 5.0
5500 5.2
6000 5.2
6500 5.2
7000 4.8

As recommended to me as a starting ground on 99ron.

Try these settings out. Should be ok for 99Ron. If you feel hesitations in the high rpm go back to map 1 5.0 which will give you overall better performance. With these settings you will have a bit less torque but a linear feel
1500 0
2000 2
2500 3
3000 3.5
3500 4
4000 4.8
4500 5.0
5000 5.0
5500 5.2
6000 5.2
6500 5.2
7000 4.8

Thanks!

Btw don't you think 5.2 is too much? Did you check your logs especially ignition ******?

Thanks!

Btw don't you think 5.2 is too much? Did you check your logs especially ignition ******?
I think it probably is but I'm giving it a try, I originally used 5 over 5.2 but it feels fine. I haven't logged anything other than air fuel and EGT though so very early days

Reactions: Jonno225
Also our 'ROW' cars have better injection than US cars giving further margin.

+ most of us have access to E85 which can be mixed in up to E30 - when having JB1 -allowing further boost.

George is quite conservative in guidelines though to minimize risk of turbo popping...

Live in a place with quite few S3s and would never admit this kind of thing on a public forum....

But let's just say I installed it this Sunday on my friends car and we gave it a go for about 1.5 hours with default Map1 +4.8 using 98Ron fuel and stock intake modifications, otherwise completely stock car.

To use the poetry from the other tuning box thread I'll just summarize: it was like meeting an - extremely - hot girl when you went to high school. :)

Stroong and very smooth power delivery.
No sign what so ever of roughness/uneven power as described for some other box tunes.

The car is really fun to drive now!
The feeling from stock tune 'this can't really be 300hp' is completely gone.

It took some full throttle runs after installation for it to adapt though.
No issues then either but just less power during the first runs.

Probably a bit less torque and hp compared to some flash tunes but regardless extremely happy and price is a steal!

Will probably try with some E85 and +5.2 later on but the default setup is just perfect in my opinion.

Last edited:
It's deffo worth logging the timing when messing with map 6 setting, these are my settings

2202f6bc313d868efceb22f7188b757b.jpg

But my car has a sports cat down pipe, cat back, modified intake with panel filter and TT TIP.
With them settings my car pulls zero timing all the way to 5th when it pulls timing slightly and within what BMS say is ok. I have run 5.5 but had E20 mix in, never made much difference.

I like how map 1 is at 5.2 but launch control doesn't work properly, it will change up straight away and then back down as the box can't see the true torque, but with them settings it takes off perfect

i m using on my A3 1.8tfsi and my setting are 4.0 map 1 due to low fuel quality....will try map 6 with low boost on low rpm and highest will be 4.2 from 4500rpm till 6000rpm

It's deffo worth logging the timing when messing with map 6 setting, these are my settings

2202f6bc313d868efceb22f7188b757b.jpg

But my car has a sports cat down pipe, cat back, modified intake with panel filter and TT TIP.
With them settings my car pulls zero timing all the way to 5th when it pulls timing slightly and within what BMS say is ok. I have run 5.5 but had E20 mix in, never made much difference.

I like how map 1 is at 5.2 but launch control doesn't work properly, it will change up straight away and then back down as the box can't see the true torque, but with them settings it takes off perfect
Are you using VCDS to log the timing pull? Obd only shows the current timing from what I can see

You really need it! Or see if someone is local enough to go out with.
If you do the boost logs that you can do on the JB1 and send them over to George at BMS he will be able to help out a bit but the boost log only tells half the story, but if there is anything majorly wrong you can see with the boost log that the throttle closes if it's pulling too much timing

You really need it! Or see if someone is local enough to go out with.
If you do the boost logs that you can do on the JB1 and send them over to George at BMS he will be able to help out a bit but the boost log only tells half the story, but if there is anything majorly wrong you can see with the boost log that the throttle closes if it's pulling too much timing
I'd love it just can justify £270 at the moment

Jesus! Didn't realise it'd gone up that much, I got mine second hand but even then I think you could get them for £215!

Like I say, log with the JB1 software, from low down in 3rd, through 4th an into 5th. That will tell you if it's running ok, post it up here as well

Jesus! Didn't realise it'd gone up that much, I got mine second hand but even then I think you could get them for £215!

Like I say, log with the JB1 software, from low down in 3rd, through 4th an into 5th. That will tell you if it's running ok, post it up here as well
I might be wrong but I thought that was the price. I'll log the boost tomorrow and see what that is doing

Reactions: H17YD L
Tried out Map1 +5.2 together with some E85 mix today, and as before 98 Ron gas + stock intake mods.

Feels like it keeps the torque higher up the rpm range.
Most difference noted on third gear and up.
The acceleration on third gear is really insane now. :-D

Last edited:
Reactions: H17YD L

If VAG cars are your thing then you need to justify it, it will pay for its self with,diagnostics on your car when it goes wrong, helping others diagnosis their car for small fee (most charge £10-£20)! Beats paying audi £70

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

@OliS3 if you need vcds for logs or fault code reading, im in the WM so just drop a message if needed.

Just installed my jb1 and running the stock map with 4.8psi over stock. First impressions are well f**k me. The pull in the 1st gear and 2 gear is just nuts now. It just wakes up the whole car when your giving it. Driving around normally it feels the same as stock and gives the same mpg when your driving normally.

An issue I've got is trying launch control. It just changes up the gear and bogs down straight away. And also to getting a bit of clutch (DSG) slip and about 4K rpm in second gear when doing a wide open throttle run. Anyone know how to solve these issues.

Reactions: S3 Turbo
To get round the issue with launch control is to make a map 6, I've did this for when I went pod, but for everyday driving I stick with map 1 as it's more responsive round town etc...

As for the slip, this can again be solved by setting up a map 6. Is it deffo slip, if I hold the revs at say 4K then floor it the revs jump a bit, that's just the DSG locking up and is ok. Another thing that a few people in America have had done is the DSG fluid topped up as when this is low it causes the clutch to slip. But I think you'd find it hard to prove to the dealer it's slipping standard coz I bet it isn't without the JB1

Just installed my jb1 and running the stock map with 4.8psi over stock. First impressions are well f**k me. The pull in the 1st gear and 2 gear is just nuts now. It just wakes up the whole car when your giving it. Driving around normally it feels the same as stock and gives the same mpg when your driving normally.

An issue I've got is trying launch control. It just changes up the gear and bogs down straight away. And also to getting a bit of clutch (DSG) slip and about 4K rpm in second gear when doing a wide open throttle run. Anyone know how to solve these issues.

Really wakes the car up doesn't it... B-)

A dsg / S-tronic S3 without hardware mods and Jb1 at default setting should certainly _not_ have clutch slip.

The dominating cause for the few cases it does happen is low level of dsg fluid.
Definitely recommend you get it checked and stay away from full throttle runs, or dial torque down with map6 as suggested above, in the meantime...

Last edited:
The only mods I have are a jb1 at stock map 1. Car is running on shell v power, It definitely feels like the clutch is slipping or maybe the timing is being pulled back when in gear 2. Gear changes feels abit notchy from gear 1 to 2 when on full throttle. I'll post up a video and link it soon.

It's hard to tell on that video, if it's clutch slip get it in 4th/5th at 4K an floor it, you will see if it's proper clutch slip then

It's hard to tell on that video, if it's clutch slip get it in 4th/5th at 4K an floor it, you will see if it's proper clutch slip then

Trying to do that at 4th/5th will mean i'll doing silly speeds. Will need to find a 'private' place for that then. But I'll try a custom map soon

Anybody else get a start stop not available error after giving their s3 a good workout with the jb1 ? After a engine restart it goes away. VCDS shows no errors when a scan is performed.

I can't see how that is to do with the JB1 unless it isn't activating the start stop due to high temps

I'm guessing it's due to the high temps. Didn't a few 4/5th gear pulls and the clutch is definitely slipping between 4-5k rpm. Car is one map 1 4.8psi. Will try a custom map once the BMS cable arrives. You guys reckon this could be due to low DSG fluid ? I've heard it on other forums to cause an issue.

I'm guessing it's due to the high temps. Didn't a few 4/5th gear pulls and the clutch is definitely slipping between 4-5k rpm. Car is one map 1 4.8psi. Will try a custom map once the BMS cable arrives. You guys reckon this could be due to low DSG fluid ? I've heard it on other forums to cause an issue.
On 5psi if I really try and do it I can get the tiniest bit of slip so I'm surprised you're getting it at 4.8. 5 does make quite a bit of difference in perceived power anyway.

On map 6 you can do what you like with the boost so you can work around it but I'd definitely get your fluid levels checked as you're right people have resolved clutch slip with a top up of fluid.

On 5psi if I really try and do it I can get the tiniest bit of slip so I'm surprised you're getting it at 4.8. 5 does make quite a bit of difference in perceived power anyway.

On map 6 you can do what you like with the boost so you can work around it but I'd definitely get your fluid levels checked as you're right people have resolved clutch slip with a top up of fluid.

Looks like taking the jb1 off and a trip to the dealers is required then. :-(

How much of a difference can you feel between 4.8 and 5.0 on map 1 ?

Looks like taking the jb1 off and a trip to the dealers is required then. :-(

How much of a difference can you feel between 4.8 and 5.0 on map 1 ?
I wouldn't use the dealers, you won't be able to explain why you think it's low.

It feels like a big difference but time wise it isn't any faster. 3.7 to 60 is quick enough anyway

I wouldn't use the dealers, you won't be able to explain why you think it's low.

It feels like a big difference but time wise it isn't any faster. 3.7 to 60 is quick enough anyway

3.7 to 60. Omg that must feel mental

What would the recommended course of action to do then ?

3.7 to 60. Omg that must feel mental

What would the recommended course of action to do then ?
Other than mine being a low spec 3dr yours shouldn't be far off. I'd get an independ garage to check it for what it would cost. Taking the jb1 off and on is worth something plus the battle with the dealers to get them to check it with no real explanation to why you think it's low.

Mine is a highly specced saloon so will be slight higher. But I guess the looks make up for it.

No harm in trying to get my dealer to look at it. It would be a good time to see how good their after sales customer support is. I'll report back when I have some news.

Mine is a highly specced saloon so will be slight higher. But I guess the looks make up for it.

No harm in trying to get my dealer to look at it. It would be a good time to see how good their after sales customer support is. I'll report back when I have some news.

Each to their own :) Hope you get it sorted

As far as I'm aware the level can't be checked, if the clutch is slipping (in standard form) they empty the fluid and fill it back up to a certain quantity so they then know the level is correct. If your going to the dealers keep on at them that it's slipping in certain circumstance at certain times, if they are good they will drain it out an measure it, then if it's low fill it up correct and off you go. If it's the correct level they could probably charge you for the work??

Might be worth trying them

Concerning what to tell the dealer to motivate them to check the dsg fluid level, I suggest sending a mail to George at Burger Tuning.

Have seen him handle this topic a few times on other forums with creative but still realistic suggestions.
And know from personal experience that he is extremely quick to reply on mails.

This happens also on stock cars and it's about telling the right thing together with a bit of self confidence and the right attitude...

I bought mine direct, was only a saving of around £30-40 after all the taxes u pay