Audi S3 1.8 turbo BAM - LOW OIL PRESSURE

Cameron Pickersgill

Reaction score
People I seriously need help! I had an AMK engine in my S3 which was the original, that blew up on me, a lot of fire.

Then a garage supplied and fitted an engine that had low oil pressure even after they did what they did on it.

Now I've bought a BAM engine that is now suffering from low oil pressure as well. The car has evidently been run on lowish oil and when turbo kicks in there a little blue cloud coming out suggesting it's burning oil. So instead of 5W30 oil I've put in 10W40. It's suffering from low oil pressure still. I'm going to change the oil pump this week.. But if the new pump still doesn't make a change to the low pressure what shall I do next?! Over a month with this problem

I read somewhere in the web between 3.5 and 4.5bar at 3krpm and above 1bar on idle. Think that was from one of the american forums. If anyone knows the actual spec for amk/bam id like to know.

Have you changed the sensor and checked the plug? I had low oil pressure light issue on mine not long ago. Changed the pump and pick up just to be safe as didn't want to drive it with low oil pressure but light still came up on dash.Tried a genuine sensor aswell. Took it to a garage as got ****** off with it so had it pressure tested it and it was fine. Turned out to be a dodgy connection from corrosion in the plug.

Reactions: badger5
Have you changed the sensor and checked the plug? I had low oil pressure light issue on mine not long ago. Changed the pump and pick up just to be safe as didn't want to drive it with low oil pressure but light still came up on dash.Tried a genuine sensor aswell. Took it to a garage as got ****** off with it so had it pressure tested it and it was fine. Turned out to be a dodgy connection from corrosion in the plug.
good call

The things I have done are:

- Taken the rocker cover off, cranked the engine to see if anything is block
- Put engine flush in the engine
- Changed the filter
- Changed the Sensor
- Put good oil init

If I drive the car below 2.5k revs it drives perfect, if I go to 3k then it might come on and then goes off straight away. Tonight on my way to work I got the car to 4k revs by accident and the pressure light came on and the engine started tapping really loudly.

Tomorrow I'm changing the Pump, Cleaning the Sump again & Pick up pipe.. replacing the breather valve and checking a crankshaft bearing.

Is there anything I'm missing?

This car has had 3 engines. 1 blew up and set on fire, another had low oil pressure and the garage gave me my money back and now this one I have bought has low oil pressure.

I saw a thread on here saying that a turbo gasket can cause a puff of blue smoke. I also thought differing from the standard oil meant the oil pump might fail.

Tonight on my way to work I got the car to 4k revs by accident and the pressure light came on and the engine started tapping really loudly.

im guessing it's not a sensor issue then. Sensors don't normally tap. You also need to be aware the main bolts and rod bolts need to be replaced if undone to check a bearing .