A4 or A3?

Andyh1873

Reaction score
Mrs at present has an 8v A3 2012, 1.6 technic (gutless)

Looking to change it. I fancy the A4 Avant, 2.0tdi, sLine - decent spec. Prices ain't too bad at present for a 2015 one.

Mrs prefers A3 sport back 8v. (I'm thinking 1.4tfsi or 2.0tdi) sLine or the A4 saloon.

Need opinions lads on what to do please. I have posted on the A4 page, however they are all asleep!

If it's for her, and she prefers the A3, Id say go for the A3. No point having a car she's not happy with.

Reactions: Andyh1873
My S3 is going nowhere! Maybe the A3 2.0tdi sportback could be the choice.

Reactions: Ghost
If it's the previous generation A4, then I'd stick with an A3. If it's the new, current one (I forget when it was released) then I'd have the A4.

Reactions: S32B
If the choice is between the A3 1.4 tfsi cod and the 2.0 oil burner I know what I'd go for.
1.4 engine is sweet and gutsy.

Hi,
I traded in my 2.0 TDI B8 A4 saloon for a new 1.4 TFSI 150 COD SB last year.
For me, there are quite a few differences, the A3 obviously has less space inside and in the boot. It seems to lean a lot more on the corners and does not give me quite the same feeling of security on the road as the A4 did even though both had/have 17 inch wheels. Suspension is different from the A4 which was a lot more comfortable ride overall.

Power wise I really like the 1.4 with the little extra BHP but it is different from the TDI which seemed quite effortless particularly at the higher speeds on the motorways.( frequent three hours trips up the A1 M) That said the A3 is great on economy and still pushes along when needed. Overall, I think the A3 is just about more fun to drive but don't be put off the A4,if you are looking for space then its a great car (particularly the Avant) and even the lowly 143 I had gave lots of power and it was quite economical even when pushing hard on the motorways.
Personally, I think the A4 just had the edge for me, but I did not need that size car, so another A3 was the natural choice.
Depends what you want from the car but whichever you choose hope you both enjoy it.

Reactions: Andyh1873
Hi,
I traded in my 2.0 TDI B8 A4 saloon for a new 1.4 TFSI 150 COD SB last year.
For me, there are quite a few differences, the A3 obviously has less space inside and in the boot. It seems to lean a lot more on the corners and does not give me quite the same feeling of security on the road as the A4 did even though both had/have 17 inch wheels. Suspension is different from the A4 which was a lot more comfortable ride overall.

Power wise I really like the 1.4 with the little extra BHP but it is different from the TDI which seemed quite effortless particularly at the higher speeds on the motorways.( frequent three hours trips up the A1 M) That said the A3 is great on economy and still pushes along when needed. Overall, I think the A3 is just about more fun to drive but don't be put off the A4,if you are looking for space then its a great car (particularly the Avant) and even the lowly 143 I had gave lots of power and it was quite economical even when pushing hard on the motorways.
Personally, I think the A4 just had the edge for me, but I did not need that size car, so another A3 was the natural choice.
Depends what you want from the car but whichever you choose hope you both enjoy it.

Many thanks for that, gives me a few pointers. Thanks for the write up.

Get her a B8 A4 with Quattro, of the TFSI 2.0L kind. I've driven a 2014 and 2016 model and they feel well planted on the road.

I would suggest a 2.0L TFSI A3 but I realize those aren't offered in Europe.

I think it really comes down to size and price as that's the real difference between the A3 and A4

am i the only person who's noticed
1.6 A3 - Gutless

but wants an A4 Avant - 2.0tdi.

it'll be gutless again. i had the 3.0 V6 Tdi avant. that went ok, but needed a map. i wouldn't touch a 2.0tdi in a tank if I'm considering what is gutless.