S3 8p Rear Diff Whine Or Wheel Bearing?

Lapapps

Reaction score
So Iv had a look at other threads and think it's one of these two.
But I have a few questions from what I have noticed.
The noise is constant and consistent, is not related to how much the car is under load, so it dosnt change under hard accerlation (I can't hear it but it must be there)
It's there if my foot is off the accerlater
And it's still there when the clutch is pushed it, it gets louder the faster the car is going (really noticeable at about 80)
Iv only noticed it this last week after a very pertiucal spirited drive, involving hard cornering. So could be wheel bearing or could be rear diff. Was just wondering if it was rear diff if they sound would go with clutch pressed in (while cruising)

Another thing is my friend has problems with his BMW 130i rear diff, which is getting replaced and his sounds horrible when he puts his foot down, which makes me wonder if mine is diff or not (obviously power diff is different)
Thanks

I have same problem it's a constant whine even when the clutch pedal is engaged while coasting. Fingers crossed its a wheel bearing cause a diff won't be cheap

I have same problem it's a constant whine even when the clutch pedal is engaged while coasting. Fingers crossed its a wheel bearing cause a diff won't be cheap
Yeah man, if it was front diff I wouldn't mind too much, they do some nice uprated ones :(

Is the noise coming from the rear? Mine isn't very loud tbh so it hasn't bothered me to much but it's something I'd like to fix eventually

Is the noise coming from the rear? Mine isn't very loud tbh so it hasn't bothered me to much but it's something I'd like to fix eventually
Yeah I feel like it is, and also back left, but that could be back center (diff) cause we sit on the right of the car
And it's not very loud till I go past 80

Yeah I feel like it is, and also back left, but that could be back center (diff) cause we sit on the right of the car
And it's not very loud till I go past 80
I've only owned mine just over a week so I don't know much about them but I'm sure someone will be able to point you (us) in the right direction

Also noticed I can't hear it under 40mph, I have to be going above 40mph
Also have noticed sometimes when I start the car it beeps at me, shows the esp fault for less then a second then goes

I had the same noise on mine at around 90km/h. I got it serviced and oil changed now gone. Does anyone know when the oil change intervals were for the diff / haldex? My car is 2009 manual with 64K on it.