Needing a turbo? Advise needed

Mike20vt

Reaction score
Hi I am looking to replace the turbo on my 1999 a3 1.8t AGU as my old one has lots of cracks in it. How much am I looking to pay out for a decent unit either new or used? Any advise appreciated. I have a ko3 fitted at present however interested in putting a ko3s on instead if price is right

If your going to want to chase more power down the line get a hybrid if not your better off putting a ko3s on instead. I think a hybrid is about £650, ko3s second hand is around 150 - 200.
I'd buy brand new if you can unless you trust the seller.

Reactions: Mike20vt
Good excuse to get a hybrid. TTE or BBT ko3s hybrid

Reactions: Mike20vt
Thank you for the advice. I'm not looking to go mad with power as I my car has covered 220k although you would never notice as it runs so well ☺. A hybrid does sound expensive so maybe just a straight swap for a ko3s sounds good. I don't trust half the units iv seen so far as they all look so dirty and manky. Is there any other items that will need changing to accommodate the ko3s? I shall change the oil feed pipe and gaskets when I change it though.

A hybrid is well worth the money I think, remember its brand new as well so no worrys. I would also change the engine oil and filter at the same time.
Get it remapped once you get the Ko3s on there so you get the full benefit, Mr Badger 5 will help you out there

I have a bbt k280 turbo that I bought in error if you want buy it off me

I have a bbt k280 turbo that I bought in error if you want buy it off me

Please advertise in the classifieds section or deal with this over PM... no 'sales' posts in the main section please

<tuffty/>

If your 17 year old A3 has travelled 220K you will be spending more money on the turbo than the value of the car, why not get a whole 8L S3 for under 2K there are loads for sale on eBay at the moment.

Regarding changing the turbo below is the advice from a seller on the bay.
(there must be a reason why reputable sellers do not charge £150 for a new Turbo - so I think buying an aftermarket new cheap turbo is a bit of a lottery)
------------------------------------------
  • faq_icon1.png
    Installation/Fitting Tips
  • 1.Why turbos fail? – Diagnosis

Investigate cause of original turbo failure before fitting replacement
    Most turbo failures are due to – Oil Starvation/Contamination, Electronics sensors, Air leaks over speeding turbo, or foreign matter entering compressor housing. Breather problems.

2.Rectify Malfunction

Upon completion of diagnosis and conclusion of malfunction or component failure, either you must rectify the malfunction or replace the failed components with new components. Check for foreign particles. All BEFORE you fit the new turbo.

3.Replace Components

Before fitting your new Turbo, you must Replace Components listed below
    OIL FEED PIPE (from engine to top of turbo), replace banjo bolts and oil drain
    Replace Turbo oil drain hose (check clear / check no damage to pipe)
    NEW OIL PUMP
    Oil and oil filter (correct grade as per manufacturers recommendation)
    Air filter
    Gaskets and washers, O rings
    Diesel Particulate Filter liquid level sensor topped up with fluid level

4.Clean or Replace

Diesel Injectors – Clean, Test, Replace
    Air box and air intake hose to turbo (Pressure Test)
    Oil cooler/ intercooler/ hose, from turbo to intercooler (damage or air leak). Get Pressure Tested
    E.G.R VALVE – Check correct operation, clean or replace if necessary
    Breather system, cam cover (rocker cover) – check for blockage
    Clean Inlet/exhaust manifolds, check for carbon deposits/cracks/clean head faces/replace gaskets
    Ensure the exhaust and/or catalytic converter/diesel particulate filter (DPF) are not fully or partly blocked
    Before fitting Turbo – check no debris enters turbo, check all gaskets fit with gas tight seal
    Flush Engine

5.Fit and Test Turbo

Check OIL PRESSURE is within manufacturers Tolerances
    Start engine and allow to idle for 3-5 mins before driving (do not let engine idle unnecessarily)
    Check for Oil/Gasket/Air Leaks, All OBVIOUS locations on engine
    Plug into diagnostic machine to check for any fault codes (rectify or repair as per diagnosis, before road test).

A professional mechanic or turbo tuning shop is only recommended for the turbo fitting job of your car. The external influence on the failure of the turbo is not included in the warranty. And only with the turbo properly fitted, you will have your car return to the road earlier.
  • faq_icon1.png
    Troubles shooting
  • Turbochargers are very reliable: only 1% of turbo failures are due to bad manufacturing or manufacturing errors and therefore problems relating to the engine are far more common causes for turbo failures. Before removing your turbocharger from the vehicle, please check try one of these recommended remedies

1.Engine Lacks Power
    Worn internal engine components
    Low Boost
    Air filter/pipe blocked
    Air pipe leaking from filter to turbo
    2.Turbo Noisy
    Air leak – exhaust gases leaking from manifold or pipes
    Air filter/pipe blocked
    Air pipe leaking from filter to turbo
    3.Exhaust Smoke
    Check intercooler
    Check head gasket
    Check turbo internal components
    Insufficient oil supply to turbocharger
    Actuator arm stuck in overboost
    4.Boost pressure too high
    Boost pressure control valve is closed- Hoses split or incorrectly fitted
    Check fuel system
    Wastegate activator diaphragm split or incorrectly fitted
    Check fuel system
    5.Excessive Engine Oil Consumption
    Fuel system defective
    Replace or adjust faulty components
    Check Air pipe from turbo to inlet manifold
    Check hoses and intercooler for leaks and replace
    Incorrect operation of crankcase breather system
    Check breather hoses, pipes and one way valves breather system

More often than not a defective turbocharger is the consequence of some other primary engine defect which cannot be cured just by replacing the turbocharger. Before you fit a new turbo, find out what caused the first unit to fail or you risk the replacement failing too.

• ----------------------------