My irratating lumpy/fast idle (1.8T Sport)

Tallpaul

Reaction score
My A3 1.8T Sport (1998 2wd AGU) initially developed a fast idle when it was really hot. Basically at junctions in hot temps (like 25°C+) it would idle at about 1500rpm then fall back to the normal 900rpm.

As it only did it in hot whether i thought perhaps the coolant temp sensor was to blame, as my car still had the crappy old black one i thought no harm in swapping to the newer green one (it was only £26). Unfortunatly this didn't fix the problem.

My attentions then turned to the MAF but VAG-COM logging has shown it to be flowing the normal g/s.

Since the fast idle issue it has started struggling to idle from time to time, irrespective of the ambient or engine temperature. when this happens, it kinda 'chugs' between about 600-800rpm and you can feel the engine almost stalling; blipping the throttle normally cures this.

I've decided to bite the bullet and a new MAF is going on this evening (£88 exchange!). I'll immediatly log the differance in g/s airflow to see if it is even performing marginally better than the old one.

I've also decided to ditch all the vac/boost hoses (well they are 8 years old) in favour of Forge Motorsport silicone jobbies - that'll be another £250 but that includes a better turbo intake pipe which should help the remap a bit :biggrin:

Car needs a service too (another £200 including brake fluid) plus my S3 rims need a refurb and a new tyre (probably another £200).

Still since i washed, clayed, washed again, scratch-x'd, polished and waxed it at the weekend it's looking shiny.

ah crap.

Well, the new MAF made zero differance to peak air flow. The profile of airflow through the revs didn't change either. Oddly, the fast idle problem now appears worse, it's pretty much doing it all the time. This means the new MAF has affected something...

Doing some more logging on VAG-COM last night i noticed that the car idles around 880rpm with TB angle of 2.6°. From memory the idle speed is a little low (though within spec) but that the TB angle 'should' be >3°. This is an indication of unmetered air entering the system between the MAF and TB.

I'm guessing that the new MAF is perhaps more sensitive to subtle changes and therefore the ECU is using more accurate data to try and compensate for a leak.

So, it looks like i may well have a leaky hose after all. It'll be fun replacing the dozen or so hoses that live between those 2 points but hopefully in doing so i'll either cure the issue or notice something else that is ******.

have you checked the waterpump? mine did similar when it broke and while it was doing it it was chewing up the cambelt..

dummi said:
have you checked the waterpump? mine did similar when it broke and while it was doing it it was chewing up the cambelt..

Cambelt, Tensioners and Waterpump were changed by Audi 12 months ago.

I would have thought the engine would constantly labour at idle if the water pump was dragging on the belt. The main issue here is fast idleing. There is no excessive noise coming from the engine either.

madvw said:
have a look here: http://www.wak-tt.com/vagcom/vagcomlive.htm

especially logging under group 118.

my problem is at idle, therefore the system is operating under negative pressure (a vacuum) not boost. The N75 is therefore at 0% while this problem is occuring.

Potentially the valve itself could be causing the wastegate to remain slightly open. Either way the first thing to do really is investigate the hoses that i'll be replacing.

The DV and N75 were next on the list. Although i'm using a Forge 007p DV, so it shouldn't be that.