Car detailing

Stevie k

Reaction score
i am after people's opinions on having my new s3 in sepang blue detailed with a ceramic coating have just been quoted £500 is this about right or is it expensive or are there other options

i am after people's opinions on having my new s3 in sepang blue detailed with a ceramic coating have just been quoted £500 is this about right or is it expensive or are there other options
Sounds about right, it really depends on which coating you go for, Gtechniq & Gyeon are the most popular.

Last edited:
its not just the coating that needs to be considered, the prep and previous stages are more so important.

the price seems fair mind.

Reactions: Scottyg
its also fair to note that you can buy "c1" for around £40! ...

Just a note from my detailer... He votes against ceramic as he has seen one or two that have actually cracked and then obviously it needs machining off

I know a lot of people like it, and these cases where it has cracked are probably few and far between.... But something to bear in mind.

Makes sense if you think about what he said, a car moves and flexes in corners etc, with heat and cold etc, a solid ceramic coating can't account for that. Also (personally) I'm unsure how it would stand up to small bumps (where normally the paint would be fine)... Would it crack the ceramic?

Instead he suggested Nano sealants, one specific one, OEM to Audi, Mercedes etc is Koch Chemie 1K Nano

ceramic needs to be applied right, and buffed quickly! if the application process is wrong it will go wrong - as you have described as above.
it is application error, NOT product fault.

if applied and left too long, you won't buff it off - it'll need polishing by machine to remove and correct.
if you don't rotate your microfibres whilst buffing it'll crystallise and ruin your clothes. they need machine washing straight after use!

if your detailer isn't prepared to apply it, then i wouldn't use him at all. even for a wash.

Reactions: Jay_A, Scottyg and batch
Just a note from my detailer... He votes against ceramic as he has seen one or two that have actually cracked and then obviously it needs machining off

I know a lot of people like it, and these cases where it has cracked are probably few and far between.... But something to bear in mind.

Makes sense if you think about what he said, a car moves and flexes in corners etc, with heat and cold etc, a solid ceramic coating can't account for that. Also (personally) I'm unsure how it would stand up to small bumps (where normally the paint would be fine)... Would it crack the ceramic?

Instead he suggested Nano sealants, one specific one, OEM to Audi, Mercedes etc is Koch Chemie 1K Nano
Not sure I buy that... These "glass coats" like GTechniq, Gyeon, Carbon Collective, 22ple, are essentially an extra layer of lacquer or paint that bonds to your existing surface and becomes part of it. It doesn't behave any differently to a clear coat or lacquer.
I've had two now - 22ple on my last S3, applied by a top detailer - and CC Platinum Paint which I've put on myself, never had those kinds of issues...

ceramic needs to be applied right, and buffed quickly! if the application process is wrong it will go wrong - as you have described as above.
it is application error, NOT product fault.

if applied and left too long, you won't buff it off - it'll need polishing by machine to remove and correct.
if you don't rotate your microfibres whilst buffing it'll crystallise and ruin your clothes. they need machine washing straight after use!

if your detailer isn't prepared to apply it, then i wouldn't use him at all. even for a wash.
Yeah seems like a tricky one to apply based on what I've seen online too

I don't think the cracked ones he's mentioned have happened straight away (pointing to application) but more after a while... Also note, they were not applied by him, it's just cars he's seen and heard of

He is a swissvax authorised dealer so definitely knows what he's doing, I think he just personally doesn't like ceramic coatings

That Nano kit is highly rated but not cheap at £100 for 250ml!

Reactions: azibux1
Yeah seems like a tricky one to apply based on what I've seen online too

I don't think the cracked ones he's mentioned have happened straight away (pointing to application) but more after a while... Also note, they were not applied by him, it's just cars he's seen and heard of

He is a swissvax authorised dealer so definitely knows what he's doing, I think he just personally doesn't like ceramic coatings

i would agree that ceramic coating is VERY personal and yes, very hard to apply.
I'm thinking of doing it later part this year to the S3 myself, i will wait till summer if over though! ambient temp, body work temp and humidity needs to be taken into consideration for the best application possible.
i am a lover of sealant myself though, so my next detail will be using up the rest of my sealant to see me through the summer.

swissvax have some brilliant LSP, costly, but brilliant! I'm sure your detailer will have something to hand that will compliment your sepang all day long!

That Nano kit is highly rated but not cheap at £100 for 250ml!

True, BUT you can get 30ml of C1 for around £40.
which is enough to do one car to a decent standard.

if applying by yourself, its a worthwhile investment - if you get it wrong, polish it off and lose a few quid.

V
True, BUT you can get 30ml of C1 for around £40.
which is enough to do one car to a decent standard.

if applying by yourself, its a worthwhile investment - if you get it wrong, polish it off and lose a few quid.

C1 alone isn't enough it doesn't really add a real gloss finish, fire on Exo2 on top of jobs done.

Different strokes for different folks. You can go to 5 detailers and all will give you there opinions on what you should apply. If you want a coating then go to an authorised detailer for it, G-Techniq coatings if professionally applied will come with a warranty. A coating makes it easier to clean and general maintenance will be easier, waxes and sealants will wear of with general washing so need to be topped up regular and maintained correctly.

Like I say different people prefer different things, my mate got his sepang done by polished bliss and he recommended Swissvax Crystal Rock as it gave sepang a better finish.

Look online at different detailers websites and I'm sure you will see loads of S3 with different finishes see which you prefer the look of.

Ha yeah @RO65ERS / @Simon L the nano 1K is very expensive, but also points that it 'should' be good for that price (I know that's not guaranteed)... also not so bad if you're not paying for a whole bottle of it (if a detailer is doing it for you)

I'm still researching and undecided (don't actually have the car yet)... so will see how it goes and what I go with :)

Reactions: Simon L
Ha yeah @RO65ERS / @Simon L the nano 1K is very expensive, but also points that it 'should' be good for that price (I know that's not guaranteed)... also not so bad if you're not paying for a whole bottle of it (if a detailer is doing it for you)

I'm still researching and undecided (don't actually have the car yet)... so will see how it goes and what I go with :)

Yeah agree mate, still a lot cheaper than a pro detailer. After nearly 8 months with mine I reckon I'm doing decent enough job on me own.........:whistle2:

Really enjoy it too :)

Reactions: davc, Rob2k68 and batch
I've never used a pro-detailer for any of my previous multitude of cars. I've got Cquartz uk waiting to go onto mine but using CarPro reload has topped up my protection superbly well.
My next purchase will be some Gyeon Q2M Cure recommended by @jassyo06 or some Gyeon Q2M Wetcoat.

But each to their own. I'm still learning about new products and application techniques after detailing for over 20 years. Everyday a lesson on here.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Unique position here in that i have a Sepang Blue S3 and Crystal Serum Black applied to the car. I am very happy with the finish on the car and cannot fault the Crystal Serum, its definitely kept the wash induced swirl marks near enough non existent.

It is expensive (I had a great deal) but in my opinion, 100% worth every penny I've spent. Ti22 in South Wales did mine and I have to say the guy is very good, professional and totally dependable to do a nothing but flawless job.

It doesn't give you high levels of gloss, and therefore the colour isn't as deep as it would be if you'd applied a good wax (Victoria Concours - Red) but this I'm hoping to solve with some more product, of which I'm not 100% decided, won't be wax based as that would ruin my coatings ability to shed water like a duck.

Hope that gives you some insight...

G

Reactions: N88 RBN, Jassyo06 and Scottyg
I will do it myself yeah cost all in for Gtechniq Crystal serum Light plus EXO2...£140....and thats everything cloths,applicators,QD,its not easy but its not difficult either,ONE panel at time...2 hours covers a A3...cure for 3-4 hours...then apply EXO2 same process...anyone can do this.....both are quite forgiving in the application,if you spot a wee area you missed out,just apply a little more...before it cures"15 minute window"it doesnt freeze like ice or varnish,,lol one panel at time.....oh l forgot one thing a small step ladder for the roof,it feels better when its done by yourself.
So if you do pay for someone to apply this...the paint work only no wheels or exhaust...you can apply glass cleaning products yourself...rain X

Reactions: Rob2k68
Personally I think thats pretty expensive unless there was some paint correction to do.
I know the GTech ceramics are expensive to get but thats due to clever marketing meaning all their guys have to charge the same.
I don't think I would pay that tbh. Get the clay bar out bud and follow the process or find a cheaper guy.

If you're local to Surrey and have some workspace, I'll give you some training!

Reactions: Stevie k

I paid that for Gtechniq - but also included was stage 1 paint correction... Chuffed to bits with it almost 1 year on

Reactions: Rob2k68
For new cars a guy in Guildford will do it for £315.

That's less the 10% first time customers discount.

If you're local to Surrey and have some workspace, I'll give you some training!
Thanks for the offer would love to take you up on the offer but I'm in gloucester

Reactions: batch
Personally I think thats pretty expensive unless there was some paint correction to do.
I know the GTech ceramics are expensive to get but thats due to clever marketing meaning all their guys have to charge the same.
I don't think I would pay that tbh. Get the clay bar out bud and follow the process or find a cheaper guy.
I'm new to all theese techniques I've mainly only had galaxy's before so never bothered to much on cleaning

For new cars a guy in Guildford will do it for £315.

That's less the 10% first time customers discount.

Reactions: Mark A Greenwood, Daytonapig, richinsoton and 2 others
...Is a bit ****. Use GTechiniq G1 instead.

After two and a half YEARS, it's still doing this;

Got this in me cupboard only product l haven't got was the wheel armour and W4 snow foam