Burning Smell from engine bay + Centre Arm Rest Vibrates? (2006 A3 Quattro S-Line)

mewstar

Reaction score
Past week or so, after doing 30 miles or so on the motorway, and parking up, after waking past my car I've noticed a burning smell coming from under the bonnet. Hard to describe, but smells plastic/electrical? Can't see anything wrong, any ideas please?

Not sure if it's significant, but both times it has been raining...

Also one other problem. The centre arm rest feels solid when parked up, but same again when travelling on motorway you can feel it significantly vibrating??

Get it tested on VCDS, might be the haldex on your 4wd? Burning smell is never a good thing and I wouldn't be driving anywhere until I know what the problem is.

Scanned it after posting this topic.
Couple of things, TV tuner, control module...

Think I'll take it to Audi

Center Arm rests do vibrate. You tend to suddenly notice it esp when something else goes wrong.

My arm rest vibrates sometimes too, when I'm not gassing enough on the bite. But I too would like to know the outcome of this smelling situation because my car started doing the same thing after hitting a very large pothole and now can't figure out this burning smell that appears here and there :/

Could it be your prop shaft centre bearing on the way out/ out of balance ?

I will put an update on Tuesday afternoon when I pick the car up. Thanks for the replies/suggestions.

Its near impossible to help with a smell issue over the net.
So many sources, so many reasons.

Reactions: Mujnu