headlight washers not working,,,,relay location?

b5-phil

Reaction score
hi everyone

my car has failed an mot on headlight washer jets not working as it has bi xenons.

i have a new pump to fit as the existing has snapped, although i have tested the plug going to the pump and no signs of life, there are two wires in the plug a brown one and red, the red one does not show anything on a multimeter but brown seems fine,

had a look in owners manuel and shows fuse 3 -"relay for headlight washers lighting for glovebox ,aircon" etc

fuse seems fine but would anyone have a idea of were the relay would be located for the headlight washers?

i have also taken the pipe off which goes to the washer reservoir and cleaned it through with an airline, it was blocked at first but now appears to be free from dirt and they are popping out the bumper when doing so.

windscreen washer jets work fine to clarify!

lights need to be on for the pump to pump, and i dont think it pumps every time either, once every 2 or 3 sprays maybe?

I believe the relay for the washers is part of the main wiper relay.

One of the wires will be an earth so if you are getting a reading on the supply you should be ok with the new pump. On the b7 the windscreen and headlight washers are on the same relay, when the lights are on the headlight washers work every time which is a real PITA as they are only good for messing up the bonnet and emptying the skoosher bottle, they certainly don't clean the lights.
I dropped a wire down from the battery compartment and put a switch on the earth side so I can keep them off until mot time.

PS I forgot to switch them back on for the last 2 mots, passed with flying colours, your lot must be real sticklers!

Hi, Thank you for your advice!! The owners manual says that the headlight washers and glove ox light run off the same relay which says relay number 3 , looking at the relays there isn't a relay in space number 3 and glove box light does not work, I will try the new pump and go from there for starters! Headlight washers don't seem to be a necessity but the ministry dont seen to think the same way lol, thanks again for your advice