New year new gear

Robw76

58 Q7 3.0 tdi , 02 A3 1.9 tdi PD100
Reaction score
i enjoy keeping my cars clean and am aware that care cleaning products have advances massively since I spent my teens 20 years ago Valenting showroom cars.

My pride and joy is a black Q7 that is used daily by my wife and kids in the Devon country so it gets grubby real quick.

I have always used autoglym products but having seen some YouTube vids and read pages on here, I am certain I can better better results and make my life easier.

I am looking to change habits, so will say what I currently do, what I now believe i should be doing and hopefully generate a shopping list.........

So....

I currently 1 bucket / sponge hand wash with Autoglym car wash and leather chamis dry. Autoglym wheel clean and drip dry.

I polish every 2 months with resin polish and use the autoglym sealer 2x a year early spring and pre winter.

I now think I should be:

-Citrus pre wash.......can I hose off or do I invest in a pressure wash?

-Ditch the sponge for a microfibres mit.......... Any recommends

-Do I then need to use a normal hand car wash after the pre wash before chamois dry?

- I see that there are synthetic chamois available. What brand would you recommend for a streak free finish?

My wheels....... I thought there would be a product to help keep them clean and reduce the amount of wheel cleaner I use. I have seen a few guys on her mention some kind of seleant/ wheel polish. Can you point me in the right directions or this. My wheels are painted dark grey.

- I have seen there are sprays that can be used on paintwork post wash to give the paint shine/ protection post wash without the need for a full polish. Any recommends?

- I like the autoglym resin polish ( probably from habit) but am open to suggestions here. Similarly for wax / sealant products and routines. I have always used musslin cloth for this...... Again, should I be using different cloths now for polish on polish off.

-last question........ Clay bars. What are these, when should I use....... Are there any good videos for technique.

Thanks in advance

Howdo pal. From what I've encountered pal if you put two folks who are into cleaning motors proper in a room, be prepared to get three opinions :D.

Im fairly same as yourself mate, valter 20 odd years ago but times have changed.

Many on this forum and others recommend 2 bucket wash method where one is soap/shampoo and rinse mit/cloth before every shampoo dip to make sure as few grit and **** end up on the cloth/mit when working paint. I have gone back to one bucket, with a lambswool mit and am rinsing the mit prior to loading with jetlance in free hand.

See no problem with hose but i find jet faster and helps shift big muck before i even touch the paint.

I find no problems with sponge, but i always use microfibres for cleaning with products like interior surfaces/windows/taking off execess polish and wax. Really makes a streak free finish easier i find.

I use a big super chamois but others will advise against as can cause scratching but i am careful and i know the paint is spotless so am happy to take that chance.

Wheel sealants and polishes, loads on here if you do a search pal.

The sprays you are on about i think are called "quick detailers" and can be used as drying aid as well so it will repel remaining water and shine at same time. Have a look at some gear called hydro02 i think looks insane.

Polishes there are trillions of in varying degrees of cost. I bought some poor boys stuff as i have silver and mentioned was ideal and it left paintwork looking great, filled in any minor scratches well and looked good, i was impressed. I bought a DA polish machine because im a bit spoiled and fancied treating myself and its quality, i use it for applying the polish and then buff remainder with microfibre. Cost me about £120 iirc and i like using it and get decent results and takes a little less effort. If you are using the AG resin and are happy then you're cool.

Clay bar i thought was a load of old tosh but flipping heck.... It really smooths your paint to an unbelievable finish. Reading your routine I'd use it the twice a year prior to your seal. Wash vehicle proper then go around the paint rubbing the clay on the paint whilst spraying either a quick detailer or soapy water on constantly to lubricate. It picks up all the little bits of contamination that are literally bonded to the paintwork and leaves your bodywork looking like glass.

Other than that, save up and get ready for neighbours to look at you like some OCD clown for being out washing that Q7 every time it aint pishing down, and even a few times when it is :D

Get some pics as well pal to show off befores and afters and also watch neighbours raising eyebrows and muttering about you as you leg it out to take a pic of the rain on your car after polishing and waxing or sealing , they just don't get it :D

Reactions: Sandra and Robw76
Moorzy,,

VMT chap. That's certainly cleared a few things up for me and given me a few items to stock up on. I have just gained access to a workshop I can use 24/7 so am looking to get the car in overnight some time soon to go to town on the clean/polish/seal routine.

I will get some pics up then.

the clay bar sounds interesting........ I see autoglym so a kit for that unless any other recommends come forward.

As for the neighbours, they already think I am mad......the crazy thing is, I use my kids playing outside as an excuse to go out and watch them / clean the car! I think taking pics will just about seal the deal with the neigbours that I am a little bit too car keen......

Reactions: Sandra
I've only just got my Audi (last 6 months of so), and it's black, but I findyself washing it once a week or so.

I'm using the 2 bucket method. One for soap and one to rinse off. I was using a wash mitt, but have gone onto some Kent micro fibre sponges. I also recommend some grit guards for the buckets (I have 2).

I start my wash with a magifoam snow foam. Snow foam the wheels, then the car. Then take it off the wheels and pay attention to them with my muc off wheel cleaner. I will be investing in some bilt hamber wheel cleaner though, as my detailing buddy has recommended it.

Then I take off the snow foam and wash the car by hand with meguire gold shampoo. I haven't bought this myself, was just in my garage so using it.

My last wash I used some auto glym aqua wax, that has given the car a little bit of protection until my next wash. The aqua wax is designed for the inbetween full details (claying and polishing), but it has given a good beading in tonight's rain.

I will be buying some clay, and it will be bilt hamber regular clay. They have different grades, but my detailing friend recommended this one to me for overall cleanness. I've also not clayed before, but I will start.

To add to my buys, I will be buying some bilt hamber double speed wax too, as recommended. This will be for my full washes, after polishing. I just don't know which polish to buy. Knowing the recommendations to me, I think it will be bilt hamber.

Also, just so you know, my car is a cabriolet, and I use auto glym fabric roof cleaner. This has worked well with the protection, the rain has beaded off nicely. The cleaning was good too, and did get rid of some mold under the stitching.

Here is a small time lapse video of me washing my car, I didn't do the roof in this video.

My friend did recommend the citrus prewash, however, I'm having so much fun with the snow foam I don't think I'll be changing anytime soon.

Not spending much time on the inside yet. The inside doesn't get too dirty. I will have to get some leather cleaner, a car vac, and some leather cleaner.

Hope this helps, and will answer question you might have.

Matt

Last edited:
And just a few photos after yesterday's was. No polish, just snow foam, shampoo and then aqua wax...

2016-02-19-133248-05.jpg

2016-02-19-133232-03.jpg

2016-02-19-133238-04.jpg

2016-02-19-133254-06.jpg

Hope you like them

Cheers Matt

Comes up cleaming!

My audi is black and they really do look that part when clean...... just take alot of effort to keep smart.

The snow foam looks good fun ( my kids would love it) but i think i may go straight for the citrus pre wash.

Nice to see recommends for other brands too..... i will look into the bilt hamber range

For the life of me I cant understand why any one would use a polish. Unless its a cutting polish to use on a da machine for surface correction.

POLISH is abrasive, yes including Autoglym Resin Polish. AG do waxes if you want to continue using their products.

Waxes and glazes are not abrasive and add a layer of wax or silicon etc to the paint surface. There may be some surface protection in a polish but as they also contain a cutting element its very little.

Always use a PH neutral shampoo or you'll just wash your wax or what ever off next time you clean it.

Rely on your wax to wax it and shampoo to clean it not a shampoo that does both and usually poorly at that (including your glass)

Dodo Juice Born to be mild is very good but the best I've found is Zymol Clear which doesn't leave hardly any marks on the paint should it dry before rinsing it off.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washi...o-juice-born-to-be-mild-shampoo/prod_490.html

http://www.vertar.com/car-care-exterior/wash/zymol-clear-auto-bathe/

For the life of me I cant understand why any one would use a polish. Unless its a cutting polish to use on a da machine for surface correction.

POLISH is abrasive, yes including Autoglym Resin Polish. AG do waxes if you want to continue using their products.

Waxes and glazes are not abrasive and add a layer of wax or silicon etc to the paint surface. There may be some surface protection in a polish but as they also contain a cutting element its very little.

Always use a PH neutral shampoo or you'll just wash your wax or what ever off next time you clean it.

Rely on your wax to wax it and shampoo to clean it not a shampoo that does both and usually poorly at that (including your glass)

Dodo Juice Born to be mild is very good but the best I've found is Zymol Clear which doesn't leave hardly any marks on the paint should it dry before rinsing it off.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washi...o-juice-born-to-be-mild-shampoo/prod_490.html

http://www.vertar.com/car-care-exterior/wash/zymol-clear-auto-bathe/
To polish? Fill minor scratches or swirls or even to cut away? Strange comment imo.

Steve

Thanks for the advice. I like the look of the dodo wash.

I always liked the resin polish for exactly that reason, it would help remove the surface grime that builds up on paint through the cutting compound contained within it. but is was 20 years ago when I was first introduced to it as a product and obviously times have moved on.

I would generally polish a showroom car with the AG and afterwards use a wax when needed.

My my road cars, the AG resin polish is used more frequently owing to the road grime /oxidants that build up from daily use, however, if can use modern products to achieve the same aim or improve the finish of my car, then I have achieved what I wanted from this thread.

Cheers

Nah I see what he's saying. The word polish and glaze seems to be used interchangeably...

Polish makes it shine and involves removing clear coat through abrasives. Glazes hide swirls by filling them. Wax protects.

I'm very skeptical about polishes doing any cutting by hand. Least of all to Audi clear coat. Struggle to make a dent in it with a MF pad and compound with a DA....!

I'm very skeptical about polishes doing any cutting by hand. Least of all to Audi clear coat. Struggle to make a dent in it with a MF pad and compound with a DA....!

I remember making no progress on a light scratch on my B7 A4 with Meguiars #105 and a CG Orange cutting pad so would concur with that. :)

Reactions: DrEskimo
Have a look at Autofinesse products, they have a great range and also some detailing tips.

My advice to do it properly and what most people will say is:

Snowfoam or pre wash with citrus cleaner.
Rinse off
2bucket hand wash with lands wool mitt
Rinse
I do my wheels last but most start with wheels but for me it's just my habit.
Get rid of the chamois leather and invest in some good detailing towels to dry the car. Get some cheap ones from BnQ for doing alloys.

Once the car is prepped and waxed the following every week will keep the car looking nice.

I use a total of 3 wash mitts one for upper parts of car one for lower parts where most of the dirt accumulates sills and lower portion of the doors in winter. Then a separate wash mitt for the wheels along with wheel woolies and detailing brushes.

Using something like Autofinesse rejuvenate by hand then following with a wax will give a few months protection and shine, then just weekly washing to keep it looking smart and occasional top up with a detail spray to maintain the finish.

Be aware once you start it's a very slippery slope, it's like Pringles once you pop you can't stop. Look on YouTube there are some good detailing advice videos.

Other option is book it in for a full detail then just wash it correctly regular.

Reactions: steeve and AlexA4Avant
Well i got the buckets in, Meguiars mits and Meguiars towel.

Trying to decide between snow foam or a pre wash and and tempted to go for thw Valet Pro citrus pre wash.

Been looking at the clay bars to. Kit form with detailing spray and microfibre towel, cant make my mind up between AG or Megiaurs unless someone recommends something else?

Got some new tyres going on the Q7 tomorrow and after that i will see what i can do with the clean.....

Thanks for the feedback

Valet pro is the stuff I use, spray whole car leave for 5 minutes then rinse does just as good a job as snow foam in my opinion. It's well prices too, I get 5ltr then mix in a spray bottle 10:1 for general day to day washing. Could mix 4:1 if it's required.

Well i got the buckets in, Meguiars mits and Meguiars towel.

Trying to decide between snow foam or a pre wash and and tempted to go for thw Valet Pro citrus pre wash.

Been looking at the clay bars to. Kit form with detailing spray and microfibre towel, cant make my mind up between AG or Megiaurs unless someone recommends something else?

Got some new tyres going on the Q7 tomorrow and after that i will see what i can do with the clean.....

Thanks for the feedback
Any clay should do i reckon pal, so long as well lubricated and dont rub heavily, two fingers and let the clay pick the stuff up as it goes, no need for elbow grease with clay :)

Reactions: AlexA4Avant
Autofinnesse have a YouTube channel with all of there products I use autofinnesse products and they are brilliant

Well the car got a wash, de-tar, polish and sealant applied this weekend.

Pictures taken the following morning so a bit of dust on the car.

Newd to sort by stock out for the next clean as didnt get organised enough this time round with pre wash, clay bar etc.

Still better than just a wash which is all she has had all winter....

Attachments

• 20160228_120732.jpg
    20160228_120732.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 97
  • 20160228_120708.jpg
    20160228_120708.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 96
Reactions: AlexA4Avant and mattmanwrx
Well the car got a wash, de-tar, polish and sealant applied this weekend.

Pictures taken the following morning so a bit of dust on the car.

Newd to sort by stock out for the next clean as didnt get organised enough this time round with pre wash, clay bar etc.

Still better than just a wash which is all she has had all winter....
Very smart, i play a little sad game eith myself now, trying to hammer the time down by getting routine sorted, i know very sad but keeps me outta trouble :)

Q7 looks really tidy squire, congrats.

Reactions: Robw76
No need to go the whole hog every time you clean it. A good wax or glaze should last some time before it needs reapplying. You will be able to tell as the quality of the beading reduces.
I use Zymol Glasur and it's at least a dozen cleans before I need to do the whole hog and reapply the glaze (which is Zymol speak for wax).
The key is the right shampoo for longevity.

Great place to speak with like minded people, look at the latest kit and buy products at quite highly discounted prices is Waxstock 2016 held at the Ricoh Stadium in Coventry.

http://waxstock.com/