Snapped brake pipe

SamHendry

Reaction score
Snapped the rear offside brake pipe whilst doing trailing arm bushes. The brake pipe drops down from the offside rear quarter then takes a 90 turn towards the caliper then it's snapped just before the flexi coupling. So it's snapped on the main pipe between flexi and MC I believe.

The pipe that drops down from rear quarter isn't actually to badly corroded, it's just after the 90 turn where it's heavily corroded.

What's the logical way to fix this? Can I just cut the brake pipe where the corrosion stops, add a coupling and replace worn pipe?

OE pipes are steel so very difficult to flare with normal tools...

If you don't have the tools then its easier to replace with either a replacement OE part (get a price from ASN Parts Request) or use the after market copper stuff thats cheap but easy to flare with cheap tools

<tuffty/>

No idea... never tried it... I normally replace with OE or use the copper stuff... there are similar kits that suggest they steel lines but most people I know that have tried it either break the tool or the joint leaks..

Got two chances :)

<tuffty/>

i thought the link I posted was the 'aftermarket copper stuff' ?

i thought the link I posted was the 'aftermarket copper stuff' ?

It is but you didn't specify and in your first post you wanted to flare the OE pipes... this was the context I continued with

<tuffty/>

Yeh I should of said. I would like to replace with oe but I really can't suck up the costs. Assembling the aftermarket copper pipe should be fun. Never done it before so hopping for no leaky pipes!

Thanks tuffty

With a bit of graft you will be able to replace with this kit... It can be tricky to get it right to be honest, but there's enough there even if you only succeed it third time lucky!

Take the old pipe off, make a new one as best you can using the pipe bender, flare accordingly and fit... Remember to put any unions on the pipe before flaring!!!

Thanks mate! I'll be glad when it's done!!

In the process of doing mine currently. Cost less than £40 for 2 rolls of brake line. Fittings an 2 flexis. From ecp. Took old brake lines off today ready to make up new ones in the week. Couple tricky bends but nothing which carnt be done :)

Worth considering giving the lines a lick of paint to prevent corrosion too... OE lines are coated and we have salty roads in the winter...

<tuffty/>

Where do the rear lines go from the caliper? abs module?

Bought some braided lines last night, so ill be fitting them along with my copper pipe, hopefully the braided lines give me a better pedal but tbh I was moderately happy with the s3's pedal with a fresh batch of fluid and everythingelse standard. That's assuming I get the ****** system bled. Snapped a nipple off the MC last time.