Another S-Tronic issue ££££?

mancdan

Reaction score
Please bare with me whilst I write war & peace:

Car: 2009, 2.0 TFSi, Quattro, S-Tronic 7 Speed, mileage 104k.

I have absolutely had it with this car, its been nothing but a money pit in the 15 months I have owned it.

Nov 2013 - Oil Consumption Issue fixed FOC.
Feb 2014 - Cam chain tensioner went, cost to me to repair was £1800.
April 2014 - Wheel Bearing, cost to me was £160.
Plus another £200 on small maintenance parts.

My latest story starts approx 2 weeks ago on a 65 mile motorway journey. I was around 30 miles into the journey when the "Gearbox Malfunction - you can continue to drive" light flashed up, and then went off a minute later.
This warning light appeared 3 times in total on this small journey, and then just once more on the return a couple of hours later.
The next day I scanned with Carista app and no faults were shown. I was advised by someone on this forum to get it scanned with VCDS.

Over the next 2 weeks the light has appeared around 10 times in total, even on shorter drives of around 15 minutes, but usually when the car is very well warmed up.

On Tuesday night (02.02.16) I took it to an Audi mechanic(from a main dealer) who had VCDS on his laptop at home.
He scanned it and the error code P179E was shown. He wasn't 100% sure what the code was so had to check on the Audi database the next day.

He has come back to me today to say "the sensor that is at fault is in the gearbox between the input & transfer sections, and will require removal of the gearbox & separation of the casing to replace the sensor & wiring loom between the 2 sections" (I assume this to be the speed sensor loom??)
Cost with Audi would be approx £2.5k.

The only other minor issue I have with the gearbox is when it changes up in to 7th before it gets to 30mph, but this is extremely rare.

So my dilemma is what to do next because I cannot simply afford to pay that amount, plus there is always the other problem of Mechatronic unit failing at any time in the near future, and costing another few ££££'s.

I think I have the following options:

1) Quickly sell the car to a car buying service?
2) Try and put a case to Audi UK for a very large amount of goodwill?
3) Could I purchase an extended warranty asap, wait a month and then try to claim?

The car has FSH, all with different Audi garages apart from one Indy.

So what are everybody's thoughts, what would you do? Please help.........

Thanks to you all.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454617179961693

This was the speed sensor loom repaired at Crawley Audi relating to TPI 2022497/14

Not sure the vcds error code as was prior owner to me

I had a fault with the mechatronics circuit board, no goodwill as my car had been tuned (not sure how that affects a rotten PCB, but that is Audi for you).
You could always call UK Customer Care and see what they say, but they'll want it into a dealer to be diagnosed before even entertaining your theory.

Forgot to add my car has Revo remap, so not sure if that will affect any claim/goodwill.

View attachment 79175
This was the speed sensor loom repaired at Crawley Audi relating to TPI 2022497/14

Not sure the vcds error code as was prior owner to me

The repair kit put on yours (0B5398009D) is the exact same one I just got to repair my faulty PCB, numerous error codes can come up depending on what solder or track on the board has been damaged.

Bulletin 35-13-15 relates to it..
"Audi: multiple diagnostic trouble codes (dtc) associated with poor internal contact of circuit board (gearbox) where oil additives can cause plastic circuit plates to delaminate and contact loss. model 2010-2013 s4, s5, rs5, s6, s7."

My local Audi 'had never heard of it', of course.

If anything Mancdan, you have two cases to back up your claim with Audi

Sorry to hear that, @mancdan, but it does seem like you've had a bad time with your car. Fingers crossed you get a good deal and then the right replacement.

Reactions: mancdan