DSG Reverse

Sam3773

Reaction score
Hi All,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place! Just got an A3 3.2 with DSG. It's my first automatic so I'm still getting used to it.

I wanted to know if this is normal: Whenever I'm reversing, I'm unable to creep. It may just be something I'm doing, but when I take my foot off the brake, it starts reversing pretty quick. Not quick like the accelerator is down, but quicker than I'd like when reversing in tight situations.

Any way to slow it down? I've tried lightly touching the break while reversing but it just cuts out straight away so I end up looking like I'm bouncing the car backwards. Out of ideas other than to just try to be quicker at breaking when I'm about to hit a wall!

Sam.

This is normal for your first DSG, never mind your first automatic box.

You'll get use to it, I'd go with using the brake whilst the car is reversing, but not so hard it comes to a complete stop :)

Never had that problem with mine, if anything I have to gas it to get moving, may be different on your six valve though, you might run slightly higher revs on idle, is it less likely to do it when warm?

It's a DSG problem I have as well, although I have to use a bit of throttle to get it moving, think most of us do. Check your idle speed is not too high

Thanks guys. My idle is around 500. Perfectly fine going forward.

It feels a lot like new brakes were put on before I bought it. The lightest touch and I'm at a complete stop. Think I've managed it now. Took some getting used to!

Thanks guys. My idle is around 500. Perfectly fine going forward.

It feels a lot like new brakes were put on before I bought it. The lightest touch and I'm at a complete stop. Think I've managed it now. Took some getting used to!
Lol, yeah the brakes can be very grabby on these systems and take some getting used to, remember comming out of the showroom in mine and instantly locked up, glad it was a dry day. Had a brand new vauxhall astra with 600 miles on the clock a few years ago and was the same.