sudden loss of fm reception on rnse oem fitted.

hollows wife

Reaction score
night before last after dropping daughter off in rotherham , i nipped to garage to refuel , when i was pulling ot of garage rado reception was terrible (capital radio) at first i thought it was the canopy over the garage that was causing interference , but within 24 hours t seems ive lost all fm radio reception ,unless the car is parked . then it seems to work fine ,i also seem to be ble to get some reception if im on higher ground,coutryside were no buildings are present.
stripped boot down no water marks ,rear wiper works fine with no leaks or water ingress around motor , unplugged both amplifiers large one and th small one at the top of the screen ,checked for damaged ,losse ,corroded pins and nothing.
plugged them back in ,reception working fine till car is driven then no fm reception at all . mwand lw work fine though .
swapped amps with inlaws 2012 model ,still the same . wife just been out and says reception is back but sketchy.

dont fancy buying new amps straight away as done this before with older 09 plate and made no difference .

anyone ever had a snapped cable in to of tailgate before ? as i know they feed through into roof it an ackward angle and probably a pia to work with .

If its OEM does it have the shark fin aerial on the roof?

I'm not sure if there is an FM antenna booster behind the head unit - that would be my first port of call as you say the MW and LW are okay. I'd then check the diversity unit which I think is underneath the shark antenna inside the car (someone might be able to clarify). Lastly I'd check the shark antenna and wiring.

diversity unit i believe is in the boot lid behind the plastic cover , and the small booster is also under the plastic cover but at the top edge of the tailgate.
strangely it did function perfectly for around 10 minutes today before 1by 1 the stations lost reception and greyed out on the rnse . the sharkfin i believe is just the gps antenna

just for information , this is the cause believe it or not that the radio lost stations , been fine ever since it was taken out of the car , tested it in my sons caddy and the same thing happens . its only an in car phone charger but for some strange reason it wipes out the fm frequency. dawned on me that i purchased this at the same time i went to the garage .
20160127 1757021

Reactions: c_w
That's terrible, reception on mine is pretty poor but I only plug o e of those in occasionally, wish it was as simple as your fix :)

just for information , this is the cause believe it or not that the radio lost stations , been fine ever since it was taken out of the car , tested it in my sons caddy and the same thing happens . its only an in car phone charger but for some strange reason it wipes out the fm frequency. dawned on me that i purchased this at the same time i went to the garage .View attachment 78251

Saw your first post and was going to reply to ask if you have anything plugged in to the lighter socker like this! I had a double USB charger and it took me a while to figure out why my radio reception was bad, sometimes local stations would disappear and it was only when my phone was plugged in on charge!

Just want to thank the guys on this thread. My radio reception has been crap for a year now. I've replaced both boot amps and had it in for fault tracing - no faults found...
So I read this, went out to the car,removed the USB adapter and... fully working radio reception! Can't believe it. Stamped on the fkr lol

Cheers