A3 1.6 TDI sportback 2012 - new owner questions

user_name

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Firstly Happy New Year! It feels so long ago but we are only a couple of weeks into January.

I just bought a used A3 and have several questions that you can hopefully help me with:
  1. Engine idles at just over 800rpm. When I turn on the aircon after 10sec or so it idles at 1k rpm but when I rev the engine it falls again at 800rpm. Is this normal?
  2. Under the bonnet, as you look at the engine, on the left hand side towards the front is a cylinder bit that hisses like its loosing air or something. Sounds ominous but I hope nothing serious
  3. Clutch is fine, however when trying to move in slow traffic from stationary only with the clutch, the car engine (and the cabin) vibrates quite a bit and feels like its gonna stall. Other cars I tried do not vibrate this much and do not feel like they will stall.
  4. Mileage is just under 47k and the car has had two oil changes (independent garages) and a visual inspection (audi). The service book does not mention any filter changes, etc. Does anyone know if this is normal or what services it should have done?
  5. I asked the seller (and HPI checked) and both said no previous accidents. However, I just noticed that the windscreen and four passenger windows have a different writing (the small black letters on the bottom left hand corner) that the three back windows. I assume that this is not normal and the car might have had a rear ended collision? The car drives fine apart from some boot creaking noise when I go over uneven surfaces or bumps
  6. When air condition vents open/ close they squeak (sound comes from behind the radio console), is there anything I can do about that?
  7. Finally, I have searched through the forums and Russell Automotive Centre http://rac-london.co.uk/ comes highly reccomended by a lot of users. Does anyone know of any other garages possibly in SW London?
Thank you for your help and attention in advance!

Panos

Last edited:
I just bought a used A3 and have several questions that you can hopefully help me with:
  1. Engine idles at just over 800rpm. When I turn on the aircon after 10sec or so it idles at 1k rpm but when I rev the engine it falls again at 800rpm. Is this normal?
  2. Under the bonnet, as you look at the engine, on the left hand side towards the front is a cylinder bit that hisses like its loosing air or something. Sounds ominous but I hope nothing serious
  3. Clutch is fine, however when trying to move in slow traffic from stationary only with the clutch, the car engine (and the cabin) vibrates quite a bit and feels like its gonna stall. Other cars I tried do not vibrate this much and do not feel like they will stall.
  4. Mileage is just under 47k and the car has had two oil changes (independent garages) and a visual inspection (audi). The service book does not mention any filter changes, etc. Does anyone know if this is normal or what services it should have done?
  5. I asked the seller (and HPI checked) and both said no previous accidents. However, I just noticed that the windscreen and four passenger windows have a different writing (the small black letters on the bottom left hand corner) that the three back windows. I assume that this is not normal and the car might have had a rear ended collision? The car drives fine apart from some boot creaking noise when I go over uneven surfaces or bumps
  6. When air condition vents open/ close they squeak (sound comes from behind the radio console), is there anything I can do about that?
  7. Finally, I have searched through the forums and Russell Automotive Centre http://rac-london.co.uk/ comes highly reccomended by a lot of users. Does anyone know of any other garages possibly in SW London?

1. Normal.
2. If the engine layout is same as my 2.0 then this is fuel pump. Regardless of whatever it is 99% chance it shouldn't be hissing so do get it checked out.
3. Not normal, possibly clutch release bearing, anyhow live with it and when you need a new clutch do the clutch and dual mass flywheel together.
4. These so-called long life servicing regimes are a load of bull in my humble opinion. If they've not been done you need to change air filter, oil filter, oil, fuel filter and pollen filter.
5. The windscreen may have been replaced, either way as long as it's been fitted properly it doesn't matter. Look for the boot creaking, I'm sure you'll find the source relatively easily..check plastic trims for loose/worn clips.
6. What do you mean by when the vents open and close? They are opened/closed manually by the driver...
7. I can recommend an awesome mechanic in West Yorkshire but that probably doesn't help you lol.

Hey Sayam,

Thank you for your quick reply and apologies for the delayed response. Have been through a service, they found a few small things, but nothing major.

Only thing that remains is the noise from the boot, which I located to the plastic trim around the window (where the parcel shelf is hanging from) has become loose on the right hand side (driver's side). Have tried to knock it back to place but nothing... might need a new one.

Thank you

Reactions: Sayam
Hey Sayam,

Thank you for your quick reply and apologies for the delayed response. Have been through a service, they found a few small things, but nothing major.

Only thing that remains is the noise from the boot, which I located to the plastic trim around the window (where the parcel shelf is hanging from) has become loose on the right hand side (driver's side). Have tried to knock it back to place but nothing... might need a new one.

Thank you
That trim panel is held in place by a couple of torx screws and some metal spring trim clips, the trim clips will make a horrible squeaky noise as the tip of the spring rubs on the metal body panels when not located correctly in the hole, just not been put back right. Only way to fix is remove it straighten out the metal clips, fit new ones if any are missing and same goes for the screws. Refit the panel correctly and all should be good.
How old is the car and which model?

Hi Soot1,

Thank you for the quick reply. I will have a look over the weekend...

Its an Audi A3 8P chassis (reg 2012)

Hi Sayam and Soot1, apologies for the late reply - was away on business and just came back.

So I have dropped the car at the Audi garage and they have identified that the noise is coming from the rear stone guards and they need replacing; hopefully this will fix it but will keep you updated.

Just other bits of plastic then,glad it was simple and cheap, I hope.