Audi A3 Sound System

Yabeeb

Reaction score
hi how easy is it to improve the standard Audi sound system in a 12 plate (new shape) A3 so that it sounds as good as Bose if not better? What kind of cost would it be? Someone told me a £500 sub would do the job but wouldn't the speakers need upgrading too?

Trying to decide between the above 2.0litre which comes with a Tech Pack, and a 12 plate Black Edition old model which comes with Bose. Music's my main thing though.

Hi

I done similar thing in my old B6 A4 without BOSE. I installed some Morel front components and fully Dynamat sound proofed the doors which sounded significantly different. Next up is the back end. As standard the A3 has amplified rear speakers and a small subwoofer (even if no BOSE). i would leave the rear speakers and upgrade the subwoofer/amp tio get the extra bass that the car needs to compare to BOSE. In my opinion when i done this in my A4 it sounded considerably better than my friends RS4 with full BOSE. Lot clearer, more depth and a sharper /crisper sound with the wide range of music I listen too. Since doing my car which I have now sold I have changed all the speakers and sub in my friends RS4 to Morel and JL Audio. When I have photo shopped the images so his numberplate is not in them I will upload some images.

Chris
www.uniquecarsound.com

Thanks Chris that's really helpful.

Can you give me a rough idea of cost plus labour please? Also somewhere I might get it done local to me - I'm based in south London.

If i do end up with Bose just as its in the car I want (looking at black editions) is there a way to improve it if I decided to do so please?

If you end up with a BOSE car then its alot better starting point as its amplified. If you go for the BOSE then I would recommend changing all four speakers as they are still only a basic paper cone speaker (even tho they are BOSE). paper cone technology is very dated and very poor for sound quality.

Upgrading really depends on budget as good quality speaker can from £100.00 a pair to £3500.00 a pair. I installed Morel maximo and Morel tempo components into my friends RS4 and they sounded lovely. To supply and install something like that including labour, Dynamat sound proofing etc would be £750 ish inc vat.(front and rear doors) The sound change is staggering. The difference in mid-range is just WOW. The high-end notes are now noticebale as the old basic tweeter couldnt do them. You can now hear notes that you could never hear before. Aswell as his car being quieter for road noise due to the doors being sound proofed.

I am based in Lightwater, Surrey (junction 3 of the M3)

www.uniquecarsound.com

Cheers Chris! I didn't realise you were so close. Just saw Cornwall on your Contact Us page and thought that's where you were based.
Ok cool. I'll be in touch as soon as I know what car I have. Will have to try extra hard to get a discount from the dealer...