Turbo noises

sam4191

If In doubt, Flat out!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a K718T and all the bits. Had a remap from Bill back in June, made 300bhp. I have been happy with the car - he checked for boost leaks and everything checked out ok. Since then, I have always noticed a boost leak sort of sound, but only on full boost. I have tried to trace it, but have no access to a boost leak tester. Power has always been spot on (Liquid gauge reads same every time).

Another thing I have had is a siren noise from the turbo from cold, but disappears once oil temperature reaches around 35 C. I have generally driven below boost until it warms up to avoid this sound, as it really annoys me. But generally ignored it due to it disappearing when warm.

Anyway - Just got home from a few mile trip and noticed the almost dentist drill noise of death (although very faint) when coming on boost. My stomach sank.
This is the 3rd turbo this car has had in 5 years. Something can't be quite right here and it has really p!ssed me off. 2nd one was CR Turbos, although to be fair, this still worked fine, just a bit of play in the shaft, but went Beach buggy when did the rods. This turbo is just over a year old and has covered 7000 miles. I washed the oil feed pipe through when I did the rods and it's had a new oil pump, strainer, etc.

Boost is around 1530-1550 mbar according to the Liquid Gauge. does this seem normal?

Can anyone give me any ideas of what the hell is going on here please? I am at the end of my teather with it. I am still loving the car otherwise :-(
Sorry for long post!

I would not worry too much unless it starts smoking- then you know for sure the turbo seals are kaput ! The noise you hear from cold could be a gasket not sealing properly which gets better as things became hot... 7000 miles is very, very low, i supose beach buggy do balance their turbos properly...

Reactions: sam4191