A5 Enlightenment?

• Thread starter Pedrödelabongo
  • Start date
P

Pedrödelabongo

Hi all,

I've been on here since I bought my A4 Avant, but will be looking to replace in the New Year with an A5 S-Line, 4 door, probably a 2.0 litre engine with manual gearbox.

What I would like to know is:

Is the diesel the better choice overall compared to petrol?
If so, I see there are different diesel engines - 1.9, 2.0, 2.7 and 3.0 - which proves the better engine?

If not, which is the best petrol engine?

Also, is the 'Sport' (assuming that is just petrol engines?) as good as the S-Line variant?

Sorry for the Q's, but I learned a lot about my A4 (the hard/expensive way), so would like to keep losses to a minimum with the next Audi…... if I can.

Your choice between petrol or diesel should be based on your mileage and type of miles. If you do a high mileage and lots of motorway journeys, then a diesel is probably a good fit. Personally, I've never been a fan and don't do huge amounts of miles so stick with petrol. I love the A5 for being a good looking cruiser and enjoy the quiet ride that a petrol gives. I had a 2.0TFSI, and found it to be powerful enough. I've moved to an S5 now, but would definitely recommend a quattro is your budget can stretch. Found my FWD 2.0TFSI to wheel spin quite badly. Oh and the 3.0TFSI from the S5 is immense :)

Main thing you need to look out for on the 2.0TFSI is excessive oil consumption on models between 2008-2011. Audi are fixing these free now, and once its fixed it seems to be absolutely fine, but would be worth checking with the seller if the fix has been done. Saves you the bother. When I sold my A5 I provided the Audi invoice to prove the work was done.

Diesel wise, the 3.0TDI is highly regarded. Very torquey and decent economy given the power. I get around 20 with the S5, and you can expect around 30 in the 3.0TDI with similar power (although the power delivery is quite different). Not sure what engine your A4 was, but quite a few reports that the 2.0TDI is underpowered. If you were buying new, thats less of an issue as they increased the power output from 170 to 190. Still, depends on what you want, power or economy?

A5 comes in 3 main trim levels, Standard Edition (SE), Sport and S-Line. The S-Line also has a special edition depending on what model year you are looking at. Think early versions were called S-Line special edition, but now they are referred to as Black Edition. That gives you pretty much all the options you want. This is the same across all engine models.

Options that are a must for me are the AMI system to connect iPod/iphone to AMI system, DRL running lights with Xenons and bluetooth phone connection. Sat Nav and B&O sound system are nice extras. Also like folding mirrors.

Hope that helps!

Here's my experiences:

2013 2.0 tdi (177) fwd manual coupe black edition
- covered 27k miles, 1 year of ownership
- 47-52mpg
- pedals heavily offset
- s-line suspension too firm, swapped to SE after 2 months of ownership due to back ache!
- handling not great, likes to tramline and felt unbalanced under breaking.

2013 2.0 tdi (177) Quattro S-tronic coupe black edition
- covered 3k miles, fathers car.
- 40-47mpg
- no issue with offset pedals on the automatic
- s-line suspension much more comfortable due to extra weight of Quattro and stronic.
- handling, it's a completely different car to the fwd, feels reassuring and planted.

2015 2.0 tdi (177) Quattro S-tronic coupe black edition plus
- covered 16k miles in 8 months (current car)
- 40-47mpg
- suspension, I've got drive select with damper control and I love it, softer suspension for cruising and firmer for fun, best of all worlds.
- power, I did find the 2.0tdi very flat, but just had it remapped by revo to around 210bhp, which makes a massive difference.

3.0tdi Quattro S-tronic black edition would be my preferred model choice for my mileage if I could have stretched to it.

If buying new, try a broker for a good deal.

Wow - thanks, lads!

I think your answers cover my questions more than admirably.

I was looking at a 4 door, 2.7 TDi (for my mileage), S -Line, Quattro with a manual box. Offset pedals - I got used to those on Vauxhalls.......and to be fair, the clutch pedal on my A4 is a little to the left. ;-)

Reactions: DrEskimo
Wow - thanks, lads!

I think your answers cover my questions more than admirably.

I was looking at a 4 door, 2.7 TDi (for my mileage), S -Line, Quattro with a manual box. Offset pedals - I got used to those on Vauxhalls.......and to be fair, the clutch pedal on my A4 is a little to the left. ;-)
Hi
3.0 tdi is the better engine.
I have an early model manual remapped.
S5 performance (the torque is unreal) 37 around town 42 motorway spirited speeds (dynamic mode)
And those figures are fuelly not dis (the dis shows a couple of mpg more)
I've had the dis showing 55 pottering through villages.