Trouble fitting coilovers! Please help

Joevx91

Reaction score
Hi, purchased a set of FK AK street coilovers for my 59' sport back black edition which were the 55mm struts, as I called Audi and the only strut size listed for my car was the 54.6 (55mm). Car was at the garage today hoping to get them fitted, but was told they were roughly around 1mm too big for the hub and didn't fit! Venom Motorsport are positive these are the correct ones for the car but the fellow at the garage could not get them to fit what so ever! Anyone got these fitted or had problems with them etc and are these the right ones for the car? Any help appreciated

Garage said 50s would be too small but yet they couldn't get the strut to fit the hub as the 55s were 1mm too big

It's a 2.0 tdi 140

Do you think it would be worth taking to someone else and seeing if a bit of force would make them fit? Assume the garage had already tried that but maybe worth a second opinion?

Had issue with venom Motorsport before I got some coilovers for my old type R and ended up been sent 2 drivers sides coilovers yet the were certain I was mistaken

Yeah it's odd how on the box the code for the struts ends in a digit off to the number which is on the actual strut but yet says they are the same strut anyway

Get a spreader tool on the hub, struts will slide in and out easily then

Reactions: bennyball
Get a spreader tool on the hub, struts will slide in and out easily then
Agreed, but surely they will have had to use a spreader to get the old strut out. It's a pig to do otherwise?

Agreed, but surely they will have had to use a spreader to get the old strut out. It's a pig to do otherwise?

Some places don't, I've seen and done the other method of smashing the hub downwards with a hammer but never had a problem with putting the coilover strut back into the hub afterwards.

The tool turns it from an hour job to remove and refit the struts to a 10 min job though

Some places don't, I've seen and done the other method of smashing the hub downwards with a hammer but never had a problem with putting the coilover strut back into the hub afterwards.

The tool turns it from an hour job to remove and refit the struts to a 10 min job though

I agree, seen it done both ways but I'm so glad I bought the tool when I did mine, think it only cost me a few quid from Amazon.
It's got to be this if they are saying it's only 1mm difference!

Do you have a link to the spreader mentioned? Would I be able to get one from a local tool shop?

The OEM strut fitted and came out easy he said but the fk coilover was just a bit too tight

Thanks so far for the help

I bought mine from vw (tool no.3424) they were a bit funny on pick up as supposedly they shouldn't have sold it to the general public but had already ordered me it haha.
It's only a socket with a oval shaped bit in it.

Do you have a link to the spreader mentioned? Would I be able to get one from a local tool shop?

The OEM strut fitted and came out easy he said but the fk coilover was just a bit too tight

Thanks so far for the help

This is the ones I've got, get 2 for £9 which is great if one breaks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/161102850891

Will save you hours and stop your arms going numb from swinging hammers.

Im using fk's too and i have an A3 2.0 tdi 140 2011, same shape as yours, they went right in with lots of wd40! its definetly 55mm