Using Coolant 2.0FSI

cathaloneill

Reaction score
I have a 2003 2.0FSI 40K and it started using coolant 7 weeks ago. left it in with the local deal who said that the thermostat housing and fan needed replacing, it eventually took him 3 weeks to source the parts directly from Germany and fit.

I had the car back from the dealers for 2 weeks and the coolant light came on again. It went back to the dealer on tuesday to be checked out and was supposed to be ready for collection today. When I called them this moring i was told that the head had been stripped off for testing and it could "possibley" be another week before its ready. The annoying thing is that i asked them to do exactly what they are doing now when i first left it in 7 weeks ago.

has anyone had the same problem and what was the outcome? would a dealer in the UK get away with this level of service? and do you think i should look and having the car exchanged if the head is gone. they did admit that it looked like the fan was not working from the day i got the car although the car never actually over heated according the temp gauge, but then again may be its not working either!!!

problems so far with the car.

Drivers door handel fell off!!
annoying creak from engine compartment when you accelerate in 1st 2nd & 3rd, been in 3 times with this and still not fixed.
engine management lights on constately, 6 different sensors changed in 6 months.

I had a coolent issue with a 2.0Tdi, it took over two months for me to convince the dealership that it was "using" coolent as apposed to "losing" coolent.

Eventually has a new head on the car, but be warned, the dealer gets the bare head & then has to transfer all of the anciliaries across.

They had ny car for over two weeks, when it returned, it lasted approximately 1.5 miles before diesel started spewing from the tandem fuel pump - all over the engine bay!

It went back in for over two weeks whilst they replaced a small washer on the fuel pump (apparently they tested the car for over 30 miles after the initial work! Yet I could smell the diesel within a 1.5 mile drive!) however this then lead to a small misfire, which lead them to replacing an injector, then all four injector seats, then stripping half the fuel system down again, then another EGR valve (the 3rd one on the car)

My feelings about Audi franchises are unprintable, I will never buy another "new" Audi again.

In all honesty cathaloneill, I'm sure this post has made you feel worse about getting the work done, but just make sure if there is ANY problem with the car on its return, let the dealer know immediately (perhaps stating the obvious) and call out Audi roadside to log the fault & have a second opinion.

thanks for the reply.

i went to the dealers this moring on my way to a client to see if the car was ready for collection. the engine was still stripped and the head was in a box beside the car. the garage manager showed me 6 different cracks in the head.

spoke to the sales man who i bought the car off 6 months ago, i told him i wanted a replacement or full refund, he agreed but i think i will have to argue over the price.

i cant believe how unreliable this apparently top end car is.

I think many people are seeing the real Audi behind the Vorsprung Durch Technik thin veneer.

Car doesn't live up to expectations and dealers are often less than helpful.

Come on Audi UK, shake them up.

Cracked Cylinder heads on early 2.0 FSi's were a known issue; I'm suprised the car hasn't already had it done to be honest. I think its unfair to say the car is unreliable. Faults on car happen nowadays especially as they become more complex and mechanically advanced.

My advice would be to get the car repaired, haggle something (Centre Armrest, or an extended warranty for peace of mind if your that concerned) and enjoy the car :)

Mine has been losing coolant too (2.0FSi) but only slowly as I do low milage (6k per year). Took it back to dealer once but they couldn't find a fault and just topped up the header to well above the 'max' mark and said 'keep an eye on it'. It's still going down slowly but surely....hmmm.....

mine started off the same way, bought it last oct and topped the coolant up in dec then again at the end of jan 06. it really stared using it in April after its 40k service. my problem with the head going is that i have experinced the same thing in other cars Landrover Discovery 2.5TDI 3 heads and an engine recon, a brothers 306 TD and my first car a rover 418sld. each blew the head again after it was fixed. i dont see hoe this car will be any different.

get them to test the head staright away, also the dealer admitted yesterday that there was an issue with the fans on the cooling system and these apparently were a recall issue, have them confirm this