should i upgrade to led lights?

Daz4311

Reaction score
As I've have said in another thread...I suffer with poor night vision..so thought if I upgraded to the led lights they would be better..brighter ect....
But someone said that they had them...OK on another make of car...and they were poor. ..so question for people whom have them...are they brighter better ect..as if no brighter I'm wasting my money and I will stick with the xenon. .

LED gives a crisp white light but not necessarily brighter. Unless you have the factory fit upgraded lights, whether that be LED/AFL or whatever a manufacturer calls their system you'll struggle to get better/longer lighting. HIDs tend to be the closest or you could retrofit the upgraded light system. The HIDs will need resistors or they'll throw up errors. Other may have had different experience and be better equipped to advise.
I've got Philips White Vision in my A3 which give a much crisper white light but they're not any better at projecting light. Just the same output but whiter.

To be honest, I have the normal lights and they are fine.
You could say that if you can't see using the xenons you shouldn't really be driving!

Reactions: Lhasa2008 and Scottyg
I'm coming from driving a...dare say it lol.....fiesta st..and the headlights are worse than candlelight! !!!!

I have the xenons and they are more than bright enough for me, giving an excellent spread of light.

Reactions: KenL
I'm coming from driving a...dare say it lol.....fiesta st..and the headlights are worse than candlelight! !!!!
I came from a Mk3 St it had xenons they where OK,but Audi xenons are way better X 2 l would say, get them if you want them it's just for aesthetics or the fancy led indicators of which l like,now if it matrix LEDs l would say instantly YES As they are far superior to xenon and led headlights

instead of asking opinions, none of which match your eyesight, why dont you just go for a test drive..... at night?

As I've have said in another thread...I suffer with poor night vision..so thought if I upgraded to the led lights they would be better..brighter ect....
But someone said that they had them...OK on another make of car...and they were poor. ..so question for people whom have them...are they brighter better ect..as if no brighter I'm wasting my money and I will stick with the xenon. .
Hi Daz,
I spec'ed the full LEDlights as a factory option and am well pleased. Each to their own, but I love them and fined them so good I rarely need full high beam, and I have had lots of comments on the look of the DRLs that also are the indicators which you don't get with the standard lights!

Reactions: Rob2k68 and glospete
I am into automotive lighting and now that I have had my S3 with factory LED head lights for a few weeks I can hopefully give you some insights. A friend also has an 8V S3 with bi-xenon light and my other vehicle has projector bi-xenon using the D3S globe (same as the A/S3 Xenon) so I have something to based my view on.

With the dipped beam my impression is that the bi-xenon has more light output, especially around the hot spots hence the bi-xenon has better range. What makes the LED light special is the high beam and the wet weather / corning light. The high beam definitely gives a much better range and spread compared to the bi-xenon. The wet weather / corning light fill in the front edge nicely and are useful compared to typical fog lamps.

Apart from that the LED has more consistent colour temperature and light output, all xenons take a little while to stabilize upon initial power on.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Interesting thread.

Here's one thing the OP may be disappointed about his or her Bi-Xenon lights like I am.

Audi USA only used the regular Bi-Xenons and not the Adaptive Bi-Xenons. I would be okay with Adaptive Bi-Xenons because they have the cornering bulb integrated into them.

From my own experience driving around my A3 with regular equipped Bi-Xenons at night, it's quite atrocious at turns as the direction you are looking at as you are turning is pitch black because your regular Bi-Xenons are just beaming straight forward and not in the position you are turning.

Got to be real careful when you're making turns around a curbed road at night so you don't hit it. Also it seems Adaptive Bi-Xenons are rare, did Audi just faze these out to only optioning Full LED I wonder?

I inquired about a headlight upgrade to Full LED headlamps and here's the rejection I got:

Hello Mr. Smith,

I wanted to follow up with you as promised. In order to change the headlights, it would require altering the wiring harness and bumper cover. Audi of America does not recommend altering the vehicle to have Full LED headlights.

Thank you for your patience and understanding while I researched this for you. I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any additional questions regarding this matter.
Best regards,

:blue:

Really sucks. Cornering/Adaptive light should been a feature bundled into our Convenience Option package I equipped with this A3 that provided interior LED lighting, auto-dimming rear view mirror, folding mirror, and front seat storage basket.

People have been driving around for 100 years without cornering/adaptive lights. I wonder how they managed?

People have been driving around for 100 years without cornering/adaptive lights. I wonder how they managed?
and People have drove for 40 years with cornering lights. Not even driving German vehicles.

366329_14007853_1983_Oldsmobile_98%2BRegency.jpg
Cornering_lamp_on_Oldsmobile_98.jpg

Cornering light on a 1983 Oldsmobile.

Why are so many common car features, deemed to much to ask for in an 2015 Audi.

OK - maybe I should have said people in Europe. I'd never heard of them before I researched buying an A3.

Same can be said about reversing camera, parking system, the ability for the car to turn high beam on and off and the park brakes automatically.

Same can be said about reversing camera, parking system, the ability for the car to turn high beam on and off and the park brakes automatically.

Revering camera system's are only standard fit on higher designated models....which usually only come with a optional sat nav....so why should'nt Audi charge EXTRA for such a thing? God they even charge you for auto headlights....

lf you want all the toys standard....the Audi shop aint the one to visit...plus the fact the reversing camera in a Audi...is low res...my Focus ST camera was of a better quality

Reactions: Simon L and Rob2k68
I have them and I really like them. If budget dictated them or B&O it would be B&O in a blink. Like all options it's a personal choice what's important to you and how deep your pockets are !!

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Simon L
General consensus seems to be their not brighter than Xenons so for the OP probably pointless?

.........and yes of all the lets say, slightly more expensive options B&O is pretty hard to beat :)

Reactions: Rob2k68
General consensus seems to be their not brighter than Xenons so for the OP probably pointless?

.........and yes of all the lets say, slightly more expensive options B&O is pretty hard to beat :)
Great at playing Dvds the DTS/Dolby Soundtracks sound amazing

Reactions: Simon L and Rob2k68
Revering camera system's are only standard fit on higher designated models....which usually only come with a optional sat nav....so why should'nt Audi charge EXTRA for such a thing? God they even charge you for auto headlights....

lf you want all the toys standard....the Audi shop aint the one to visit...plus the fact the reversing camera in a Audi...is low res...my Focus ST camera was of a better quality

Even though I had to option backup camera on my 2015 A3, the 2016 model year get it standard.

You know why they Audi made it standard?

Because NHTSA has made it a requirement on all new vehicles here in America.

Audi had no choice.

We
Even though I had to option backup camera on my 2015 A3, the 2016 model year get it standard.

You know why they Audi made it standard?

Because NHTSA has made it a requirement on all new vehicles here in America.

Audi had no choice.[/QUOTE
Standard...
No doubt Audi nipped the 2016 A3 price up accordingly

Also it seems Adaptive Bi-Xenons are rare, did Audi just faze these out to only optioning Full LED I wonder?

The LED lights on the FL model have integrated lights which illuminate the sides of the road. These are used when turning, thus replacing the function of the adaptive Xenons, and also as "all weather lights" in place of fogs.

From what I've read on here and seen, the LEDs on the PFL model are not much better than the Xenons, and not worth it. With the FL model though, my Matrix LED lights are very bright indeed, a huge step over the Xenons on my old PFL car. This could be specific to the Matrix lights (I had read I think that because the matrix lights can dim on road signs and not reflect so harshly back at you, they can be brighter) rather than the standard LEDs though - I don't know what they are like.

Okay thanks :)
I have also found that both xenon and LED cannot be installed with just adapters, which males it hard to do my selv.