fuses ???

shuviteer

Reaction score
The hand book doesnt say which fuse is for the 4 leccy windows nor is it marked on the interior fuse panel lid...............................so which one is it ? Also which relay is it ( just in case ) and are they the ones uder the dash in front of the steering column ?
Cheers Steve

The electric window fuses are right under the back of the dash, and are self resetting thermal trips rather than normal fuses that blow.

There are also multiple fuses, so if all four windows arent working thats not the problem.

Its probably an issue with the central locking pump, as it needs to send a signal to the window motors to turn them on.

Reactions: shuviteer
Than, once again you are a great help. All 4 don't work, however it was supposed to be a Quattro, but aint.......................... my fault for rushing to Manchester in the rain and dark to get it ! Burnt out the clutch coming home ( I knew it was slipping but still a bargain), so it should be done tomorrow so I will now have a 'y' reg 1diesel estste to whizz about in, lol.
Also, how do I know which bhp version I have ??
Once again the knowledgeable one has helped me out. THANKS ALOT.

If you lift the boot carpet, and look into the spare wheel well, there is a white sticker, about 4-5" square with lots of codes on it. Near the top in a bigish font is the engine code, will be three letters like AFN or AJM or similar.

Get the code and we can tell you which engine you have :)

Its probably 110 or 115ps but the code will tell for sure.

If you lift the boot carpet, and look into the spare wheel well, there is a white sticker, about 4-5" square with lots of codes on it. Near the top in a bigish font is the engine code, will be three letters like AFN or AJM or similar.

Get the code and we can tell you which engine you have :)

Its probably 110 or 115ps but the code will tell for sure.

Got the car back, just looked on fleabay for one of those pumps and realised that there is a spare one in the boot !! That must have been the spare part he was on about.
I will look for the engine code tomorrow when I have more time.

being a y reg if its a 1.9 I would presume its the 115bhp as they stopped doing the AFN 110bhp in late 99 early 2000.
the facelift 1.9 tdi was not done as a quattro for the UK. it was only the 2.5tdi you got. you could get the 1.9tdi quattro in a pre-facelift and there was only 450 or there abouts brought into the UK as far as im aware so they are pretty rare.

Well I put that replacement pump on and there is some improvement. From the drivers switch the f/p side goes up and down, the d/s doesn't move and the rears go up/down , but they appear to be on the wrong switch !! None work off the door switch. Also the central locking isnt working or the alarm warning lights coming on.
I have an X reg saloon with only front leccy windows, will this work on the avant or shall I buy another and if so does it need to be from a model with 4 leccy windows. Getting there bit by bit. getting brake pads on hopefully this weekend when I can then swap the wheels over.

The switches are plugged in individually, so they're probably just connected to the wrong places?

Sort the switches out first then see what happens.

If the pump in the X reg has the same part number (probably will do) then it should swap right over.

Well finally got ALL the windows working as they should this morning over at my mates in Wakefield. Turns out thepins were a bit bent, so straighten them out and hey presto 4 working leccy windows lol.
Thenended up driving around sscrap yards in Bradford as his tdi had spit out is dummy (or drivers side drive shaft ), and we couldn't find one of the correct type nearer. So I took him back home to fix it and I did the decent thing by legging it off home and leaving him to it.......................... well there were big black clouds heading his way !!! Must be ok as he hasn't rung me to borrow mine tomorrow to get to work in.
When I got home the part for the central locking had arrived, could have put it in the door if it had turned up earlier ! So hopefully will have central locking working, and off the fob would be nice.
Also had to reattach the drivers wiper as it had disconnected itself and onlythe passenger one was working.
Getting there bit by bit.......................still got the brake pads to do,lol.