Hesitant B7 Avant!

GazOwen

Reaction score
Hi all

We've had the car nearly two months and it's been fine. Over the last week/ten days, it's developed a hesitancy at low revs (1500/2000) in 2/3/4th gears but is fine after, it also emits a small amount of black smoke when doing so. This stops when you pick up speed and go above 2000 revs. Other than this the car is great. I'm suspecting plugs but it was serviced on 94,000 miles, though the service light has now come on at start up also

Audi A4 Avant B7 on a 55 Plate, 96,000 miles

Thanks in Advance

Gareth

Presume it's a petrol 2.0 tfsi as you mention plugs ? Confirming engine type / code will prob help with suggestions for the fault you have. Hope you get it sorted !

Sorry, glow plugs, didn't mention it was a TDi!

Engine code is: BLB079249 (I think) sorry new to this

G

First thing I would be doing is checking the EGR valve, it may be gunged up and need a good clean out. Especially if it has never been done in 96,000 miles. It's relatively straight forward to do but if you are unsure then take it to a garage to be on the safe side.

Buddy had the exact same problem, stripped my EGR it was stinking mine on 92k now the problem has gone. If you do it though I would recommend replacing the three seals/gaskets as well to be on the safe side.

I had the same issue with mine, It was the fuel filter causing the issue?

if it starts then you can rule out glow plugs as their only purpose is to aid cold starts. Egr would be a good start as it's easily done yourself.

Thanks for the replies, really appreciated, I'll start with the EGR valve

Gareth

What would you all recommend as a cleaner for the EGR Valve?

Thanks again

G

Some people say mr muscle oven cleaner/foam works well. I used Wynn's Diesel EGR Valve Cleaner, very good stuff but also stupidly priced (150ml for £10!!!), next time I'll just buy a large can of carb cleaner

hi do you have the parts numbers for the seals as got some time off and looking at doing mine