black edition diamond cut wheel refurb?

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
I have rotar alloys on my be a3 I want have the edges re-done on all 4 wheels.......ive been told by a wheel place they can machine it and that's it,they be ok..........ive heard these need to be lacquered after being machined,but the chap whos sending wheels off to get done said,they don't need laquer,they be fine providing they washed with no harsh chemicals..............but ive been told if not lacquered after,they will corrode?

They won't corrode mate however they will not have any shine. Definitely need lacquering. Will also aid in cleaning them afterwards..
Maybe try another Alloy wheel restorer...

They will corrode if they are not lacquered. I had my rotors just diamond cut over a year ago and the UK weather corroded the diamond cut, even with trying to keep them sealed and clean.
Recently had them diamond cut again as well as coat of matte lacquer and they are perfect again.

They will corrode if they are not lacquered. I had my rotors just diamond cut over a year ago and the UK weather corroded the diamond cut, even with trying to keep them sealed and clean.
Recently had them diamond cut again as well as coat of matte lacquer and they are perfect again.
How much did it cost you and is it just the edges you had done?

I used to work in printshop/body shop.

They need to be lacquered. Any wheel refurbishing company will say they need to be done for looks and durability.

Speak to spit n polish. They did my old diamond cut wheels. Looked brand new.

As far as I'm aware all diamond cut wheels are only ever given a max of 6 months warranty though. Check that with whoever you speak too.

I would recommend when done to put a wheel sealer / wax and regularly clean and then seal the wheels. They will last a lot longer.

Also don't let the Mrs drive lol.

I used to work in printshop/body shop.

They need to be lacquered. Any wheel refurbishing company will say they need to be done for looks and durability.

Speak to spit n polish. They did my old diamond cut wheels. Looked brand new.

As far as I'm aware all diamond cut wheels are only ever given a max of 6 months warranty though. Check that with whoever you speak too.

I would recommend when done to put a wheel sealer / wax and regularly clean and then seal the wheels. They will last a lot longer.

Also don't let the Mrs drive lol.

ok thanks for the good advice.

I believe there is a maximum number of times they can be re-cut as well, possibly as low as twice. I had a set of diamond cut alloys on my old golf 5 and ended up getting them stripped and power coated as they wouldn't re-cut them. The refinished wheel was not very resilient anyway and one winter with salt on the road and it was already lifting the laquer and clouding.
If you really like these wheels I'd be tempted to get another cheaper set for winter use and switch them to preserve the diamond cut wheels for when there's no salt on the roads. I run two sets of wheels on all my cars now. It's an expense up front but over time it's no more costly and you can get back most of the original outlay by selling on the second set when you move the car on.

Reactions: vw754
mike I believe the Monza style alloy wheel cannot be cut so often because I presume as its the whole face that is the getting diamond cut

It's difficult to just do the edges, as you cant just lacquer the edges without having to mask it all off.
I used WRC in Preston, hopefully they will treat you better than they did with me.
They left bubbles on two of my wheels and didn't want to know about it afterwards.

I will be going to Diamond Wheels in Stockport next time.