Big water leak!

TheAngryDog

Reaction score
Well the Exxon Valdez decided it wasnt just content with leaking oil today, it's now leaked it's coolant! Yay.

It's a huge leak coming from the back of the engine. As soon a I pour water in the header tank it comes straight out. I can't see very well where the leak is coming from without taking some of the gubbins out of the way.

Any suggestions? Is it likely to be the plastic pipe?

I had a problem with water coming down the back of the engine on mine (03 1.9TDI ) there is a pipe that runs from the thermostat area around the back of the block that needed to be replaced due to a rather large hole . Maybe worth checking yours

Sounds like the temp sender housing has cracked and caused the water leak or the oil leak has gone on the water hose and made it swell and split.oil leak may be the chain tensioner gasket?

The investigation of the Exxon Valdez's finest Niagra Falls impression has yielded two causes;

The plastic housing at the back has a snapped hose and what I believe is the thermostat housing below the inlet manifold has snapped.

The oil leak is from the cam cover. The spark plug recesses are full of oil.

Plan is;

Replace cam cover gasket
Remove inlet manifold
Replace injector seals
Replace inlet manifold gasket
Replace rear plastic housing and any potentially oil contaminated pipes
Replace other pipes
Service

See how it goes.

Priced up the parts from GSF - pretty good. Also priced up the injector seals from Mr Injector with filters etc.

The only parts I need to price up now are the coolant hoses. Any recommendations on where to get them, or am I going to have to go Audi?

Thanks.

Does anyone know where I can get new Hoses from other than audi? Or am I basically facing being relieved of a fair few quid?

The part that snapped is the plastic part to the heater matrix.

So ordered all the parts barring the water pipe. Are Audi the only place I can get this from?