Which oil for A4 dtm?

*ASH*

Reaction score
Which oil do you good people use to top your Dtms up? I've been informed it's got to be 0w30 fully synthetic but which has brand should I opt for?

It would only be to top it up as it was fully serviced last September and will be serviced again come the end of this September but the level has just hit the minimum now so needs topping up

Thanks in advance for any help

well thats not the best oil to put in it, but if you've got your heart set on that oil, OpieOils has quite a selection, of which Fuchs is normally pretty good, assuming Fuchs do 0w30

Image 1

well thats not the best oil to put in it, but if you've got your heart set on that oil, OpieOils has quite a selection, of which Fuchs is normally pretty good, assuming Fuchs do 0w30

I didn't say I had my heart set on it? I said that's what they recommended, that was the whole point of me asking on here before buying a litre, if others had any info for me then that's what I was after but thanks for the advice of fuchs

You can even buy the correct VW spec oil 504.00 & 507.00 at ASDA (own brand). much more a favourable price too.
Suits me.

it does depend on your view point really

oil specs can mean sweet f a in some applications, and this could be one of them

the VW spec relates more to long life servicing, so if you plan to change your oil every millennium, then stick with their spec, but if you do regular changes (you're mad if you dont), then 502/505/505.01 spec oil is ok to use as 5w40, which in our climate is better for the engine.

and if its a heavily modded engine, then the specs go out the window!

this info was taken from Opie Oils when I asked about using 5w40 for mine, and he recommended it, but this isnt cut and paste reply lol

There's alot more to it than you think.

Without going into too much detail it's about oil basestock groups and additive package concentration and 504.00 507.00 beats any other VW spec ( 11 specs ) on both to see it out perform all the rest .

Viscosity wise at 100°C the 5W40 , 502 505 505.01 are so close to the 5W30 504.00 507.00 oils there is one unit of measurement in it .

Think of it as VW 5W30 is at the thick end and 5W40 the thin end of their viscosity ranges .

If you want me to prove/ expand on any item fire away.

Shell and bp are two of the best oil refiners and diesel /petrol producers in the world,so in my opinion you are in safe hands with shell,and there are only a couple of 0w30 vw507 and shell is one of them I think mobil do one as well.
Royal dutch shell shares also pay around 6.5% dividend,you can be sure of Shell!

If the oil spec is indeed 504.00 507.00 then any oil meeting that spec is good to go with , whether it be 0W or 5W .

Even Shell themselves are confused.
http://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/oil...hell-helix-ultra-professional-av-l-5w-30.html
I am thinking this 0w30 has been dropped as I can't find the Mobil 0w30 and I have seen that before,I think the shell oil one has been changed to 5w30 and probably so has Mobil,so I don't think you will find any 0w30 vw507 because it was perhaps a mistake and doesn't meet vw507 so has been changed.
In the spec vw 507 might require 5w30 weighting that would render any other viscosity out of spec even if it surpassed all the other criteria.