Carwow vs dealer price

Stevier88

Reaction score
So I've seen a few members have went through carwow and got a price and got the dealer to match it. Out of curiosity I priced up the exact same spec I currently have on my s3 saloon order and is coming in £2700 cheaper!

I have a build week of 31 which is next week I believe with 1st September delivery but the question now is what would you do?! See if the dealer can match the price or if they can't cancel the order. The offer I received was from Cheltenham Audi would be a circa 260mile drive back to Glasgow.

I have also already put a £500 deposit down to secure the build, would this affect me trying to haggle the del wee down further as I have basuah agreed to the build and spec and would I lose this if I cancel the order?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Reactions: jaypers777
Sorry to be blunt, but do your research before you order a car. You were happy with the deal when you signed up right?

What would you do if you were the dealer and someone walked in wanting to renegotiate at this stage?

Sorry to be blunt, but do your research before you order a car. You were happy with the deal when you signed up right?

What would you do if you were the dealer and someone walked in wanting to renegotiate at this stage?
Cheers I'll remember that next time

Reactions: mister.c.
I live in Scotland as well and trying to get a dealer to match or get near the quotes places like Car wow are giving are nearly impossible.Normally starts with them bad mouthing brokers got told I was paying for the experience with the dealer :yes:

Continue the ******** and do all I could to continue to screw thousands of pounds out of the sucker.
Meanwhile, what would you do to be helpful when answering the question originally asked by stevier... take a couple of minutes off your high horse.

Reactions: gordie1973 and Stevier88
I live in Scotland as well and trying to get a dealer to match or get near the quotes places like Car wow are giving are nearly impossible.Normally starts with them bad mouthing brokers got told I was paying for the experience with the dealer :yes:
Yeh iv heard the Scottish dealers don't budge much and aren't interested in matching the broker prices. Wish I had signed up on here earlier n maybe negotiated a better deal. Hopefully you get something sorted mate.

Yeh iv heard the Scottish dealers don't budge much and aren't interested in matching the broker prices. Wish I had signed up on here earlier n maybe negotiated a better deal. Hopefully you get something sorted mate.
I think I'm going to use a broker like car file or car wow ,don't like the way some of the dealers do trade ins though I'll give you a price now but we'll re do it when the cars ready for collection.Every other car I've traded in they give you a price and stick to it as you stick to the original settlement figure as well.Hopefully I can find a dealer who does it this way

Really not true. I got an excellent deal feom Aberdeen Audi. Ended up being just a few hundred more than orange wheels. Considering their supplying dealer was 450 miles away and Aberdeen is 30 miles, for £260 it was a no brainer to deal locally.

I think I'm going to use a broker like car file or car wow ,don't like the way some of the dealers do trade ins though I'll give you a price now but we'll re do it when the cars ready for collection.Every other car I've traded in they give you a price and stick to it as you stick to the original settlement figure as well.Hopefully I can find a dealer who does it this way
I went through Stirling Audi, service overall was pretty good better than Glasgow anyway. Had the same situation regarding trade in value " I'll give you a price now but we'll look at it again come delivery. Called the dealer last week to agree a price that wouldn't change and they agreed.

I would continue to see if a dealer will match the broker price. I know a few members have had theirs matched or near enough with no hassle.

My dealer gave me a trade-in price (almost the same as WBAC) in March and kept it until the car was delivered in October. Good deal (MK Audi).

So I've seen a few members have went through carwow and got a price and got the dealer to match it. Out of curiosity I priced up the exact same spec I currently have on my s3 saloon order and is coming in £2700 cheaper!

I have a build week of 31 which is next week I believe with 1st September delivery but the question now is what would you do?! See if the dealer can match the price or if they can't cancel the order. The offer I received was from Cheltenham Audi would be a circa 260mile drive back to Glasgow.

I have also already put a £500 deposit down to secure the build, would this affect me trying to haggle the del wee down further as I have basuah agreed to the build and spec and would I lose this if I cancel the order?

I've dealt with Cheltenham Audi a few times and have found them mostly to be really good. They're the only Audi dealer in a relatively small group, also its only 5 mins form the motorway so nice and accessible. If you go down that route why not make a weekend of it in Cheltenham?

I went with Glasgow as they have pretty much obliterated their old staff team! Got a great deal and the service couldn't have been better. Their previous name was extremely poor. I know a number of people who walked out of Glasgow and straight to Stirling.

You are going to induce a big delay unless the Cheltenham dealer has a build slot that will guarantee 1st September delivery. Doubtful considering it is 6 weeks away. How soon can Cheltenham get a car for you? November, December?

Your dealer will not match the price, the deal is done.

260 miles from Cheltenham to Glasgow? About 350 mate. Birmingham is 300m down the M74/M6, Cheltenham is about another hour south of Birmingham. That's both ways, so you're looking at 700m for the deal at Cheltenham. Factor the train ticket down and then the fuel back up and then a day of your time, hotel expenses if required too.

Not sure about your deposit too.

I went with Glasgow as they have pretty much obliterated their old staff team! Got a great deal and the service couldn't have been better. Their previous name was extremely poor. I know a number of people who walked out of Glasgow and straight to Stirling.
It's been a few years since it dealt with Glasgow, I know a few members on the a5 forum didn't rate them too well either. Saying that I was in yesterday as the misses wants an a1 and the service was much better than I remember when I was dealing with them with the a5.
You are going to induce a big delay unless the Cheltenham dealer has a build slot that will guarantee 1st September delivery. Doubtful considering it is 6 weeks away. How soon can Cheltenham get a car for you? November, December?

Your dealer will not match the price, the deal is done.

260 miles from Cheltenham to Glasgow? About 350 mate. Birmingham is 300m down the M74/M6, Cheltenham is about another hour south of Birmingham. That's both ways, so you're looking at 700m for the deal at Cheltenham. Factor the train ticket down and then the fuel back up and then a day of your time, hotel expenses if required too.

Not sure about your deposit too.
333m! Not sure why it said 260. Also £90 train ticket down and as you said fuel back up. Decided to stick with the current deal as I'm happy with the spec and service from the dealer.

As said above - depends on how soon you want your car, and if the trade in of your existing motor is a biggie for you. Personally I'd call the dealer and explain the situation, and that you would be better off cancelling the car with them and be approx. £2000 better off with the other deal, even with the loss of deposit, and see what they say. . . I suppose a longer wait would give you a bit of time to get your present car into autotrader?

If it's on Autotrader have you tried playing the WBAC vs Evans Halshaw ? I did with my last trade-in and got 2k more than Audi offered me. Any money's better in your pocket.

Car wow is not really what I would call a broker. It is more of an "auction " site.
We have the same in my industry.
I have bought via car wow. You get the price ,and it just acts as an introduction. You get the exact same service as if you walk in.
The only thing you wont get is a hood trade in price. So get the best deal via car wow, push the dealer for the best trade in you can get then try to sell yourself. Worse way you take the PX

Did you get a good trade in ? If so the gap might be smaller . If you are not trading in you have to decide if you are prepared to cancel , lose the deposit and wait.
To be fair to the dealer you were happy with the deal when you signed up.
Best advice is to be friendly with the dealer and see what you can get back to sweeten your future biz. Maybe some free servicing....

Your dealer might be happy for you to walk as if the spec is good they will find someone who does not want to wait five months.... So again have a friendly chat with them.

As said above - depends on how soon you want your car, and if the trade in of your existing motor is a biggie for you. Personally I'd call the dealer and explain the situation, and that you would be better off cancelling the car with them and be approx. £2000 better off with the other deal, even with the loss of deposit, and see what they say. . . I suppose a longer wait would give you a bit of time to get your present car into autotrader?
Car wow is not really what I would call a broker. It is more of an "auction " site.
We have the same in my industry.
I have bought via car wow. You get the price ,and it just acts as an introduction. You get the exact same service as if you walk in.
The only thing you wont get is a hood trade in price. So get the best deal via car wow, push the dealer for the best trade in you can get then try to sell yourself. Worse way you take the PX

Did you get a good trade in ? If so the gap might be smaller . If you are not trading in you have to decide if you are prepared to cancel , lose the deposit and wait.
To be fair to the dealer you were happy with the deal when you signed up.
Best advice is to be friendly with the dealer and see what you can get back to sweeten your future biz. Maybe some free servicing....

Your dealer might be happy for you to walk as if the spec is good they will find someone who does not want to wait five months.... So again have a friendly chat with them.
trade in wasn't great, webuyanycar offered 1k more than Audi and private sale price is 1.5k-2k more than Audi at the lowest end for similar spec. Obviously a few things to take into consideration, I won't get delivery until November/December meaning further depreciation of current car, I'm self employed so losing a days rate to pick the car up, train price down and petrol back up. I also took gap insurance and alloy wheel protection in current deal which I don think is in th carwow deal.

Might not be saving as much as I thought. I might try and sell the a5 privately so try and soften the difference a bit.

Cheers for the advice guys.

Might be worth cancelling the gap and alloy wheel protection and get it cheaper elsewhere. In fact talk to the dealer , when you say you are going to cancel these you may get a discount from them...

My dealer gave me a trade-in price (almost the same as WBAC) in March and kept it until the car was delivered in October. Good deal (MK Audi).
Same with my dealer but I put the car on autotrader to see what would happen and managed to sell to a prestige car company for 2300 more. Upside is I cleared the finance so can save a bigger deposit for the new car, downside is I am using my wife's car for 4 months until mine arrives.

I also tried carwow first and managed to get my dealer to almost match it. luckily the cheapest dealer on carwow weren't too far away from me so wouldn't have been too far to travel, but as my local dealer almost matched it and I have dealt with them before and get on well I decided to use them again. I had never heard of carwow before but glad I tried there first this time and then spoke to my dealer afterwards & managed 8k off.

As people have said don't bother with the dealer for GAP and wheel protection, think my local Audi quoted 600 for GAP, but got it for a third of the price elsewhere.

Last edited:
Same with my dealer but I put the car on autotrader to see what would happen and managed to sell to a prestige car company for 2300 more. Upside is I cleared the finance so can save a bigger deposit for the new car, downside is I am using my wife's car for 4 months until mine arrives.

I also tried carwow first and managed to get my dealer to almost match it. luckily the cheapest dealer on carwow weren't too far away from me so wouldn't have been too far to travel, but as my local dealer almost matched it and I have dealt with them before and get on well I decided to use them again. I had never heard of carwow before but glad I tried there first this time and then spoke to my dealer afterwards & managed 8k off.

As people have said don't bother with the dealer for GAP and wheel protection, think my local Audi quoted 600 for GAP, but got it for a third of the price elsewhere.
Just done a quick online quite for gap...£200 for three years cover up to 25k, Audi quoted me 500 for both the gap and alloy and tyre protection. Going to put the car up on auto trader this week and hopefully get more than Audi are offering.

Cheers