Audi S3 power flex bush sat correctly?

Gib

Reaction score
I have had the car back on the road for a 2 weeks now since getting the powerflex bushes fitted. All was well until a rubbing noise started from the front.

It's worse when there's more than one person in the car.

Can anyone tell me if there sat correctly or check there's if they look the same?

08dd9b2dbd8e60de2b40dd02b3e48b05.jpg

Is your car lowered? Looks like the wishbone is coming up at such an angle the subframe is then forcing the bush downwards... I do beleive Tufty has warned many people about this happening.

Could you potentially put a big washer under the bush to hold it up?

Might be worth contacting powerflex to tell them it doesnt really fit, they're normally good at fixing issues like this.

I will have to ask them and see as something can't be right?! I'm interested if other people with S3 have had this issue (the way the bush is sitting)

Fitting instructions...
http://www.powerflex.co.uk/i/product_images/1-3-610 FI.pdf

Not seen a set in ages but I thought the larger diameter lip (should be at the top according to the fitting instructions had a metal insert moulded in it to stop it doing what it looks like in your pic and it was the bottom lip that was the main issue...

Like I said via PM its been a while since I have seen any fitted to a car and not something I would use personally...

Bill is a superpro dealer by the way

<tuffty/>

So they could be fitted upside down, says in the instructions that they can be fitted different ways up. Cheers Tuffty!

Mine have been on for a few months - see picture, they look fine, not like yours at all! :(

To be honest they were only fitted due to a misunderstanding. Trying to be pragmatic I kept them on and they seem fine so far, but then mine's at stock height and I don't intend to lower it any time soon.

Attachments

• powerflex_wishbone.png
    powerflex_wishbone.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Yeah yours seem to be fitting perfect.......

Well I managed to remove the arm tonight and there figment is tight, but not when the car is sat. Up on reading the fitting instructions and looking at how mine are fitted they are wrong..... But a few garages who have fitted these to S3's all have said that's how we fit them smaller side bottom and larger side to top.

I wouldn't worry about it, mine and my mates are both the same. Both have had them fitted over a year and he fitted them the opposite way up to me, both look the same as yours. When on the ramp, they look awful, but neither have any play whatsoever. Must admit, we questioned each other on it, but have both decided it must be how they are. Mine is 25mm lowered and his is 30mm apparently.

I generally don't like 2 part bushes, it just doesn't seem right! I like the superpro version you have to mash in with a 6 ton press. They don't squeegee out the sides!

These are a single unit not 2 part, I removed the bush yesterday and had a closer inspection seeing if they were fitted wrong, they are fitted correctly as the hole in the arm has a little taper on one side allowing easier fitment for the bush, so it can not go through the other way. My bush has started to split due to this so I have been in touch with powerflex who said they'd expect the bush to sit like it does when a car is lowered and kindly sending me out some new ones.

f95b5d493a3f790e86d35aac777ff2e2.jpg
f87c32f123ff152d7f271f94a50d3f08.jpg

That's good they acknowledged it and are sending out some new ones for you. Nothing worse than when somewhere mugs you off just because they're a big enough company!

I didn't expect them to send out new ones, so I'm happy with that - it's just random how they've split after 1000miles of driving? I have asked if I can pay the extra and get the Black series ones as they seem to be harder. So waiting on a reply

I wonder if they can ever work properly with a lowered setup? The design doesn't seem to lend itself to it.

It seems to me that the way the arm is mounted there is stupid anyway, and I can see that they changed it for the MK5 platform...sigh :(

Lowering inherently alters the angle of the wishbone upwards of the angle it was originally designed to run... you would need need roll centre adjustment ball joints ideally to lower the arm back to its optimal position...

Depends how much the car is lowered as to the extent of the issue

<tuffty/>

Ha i had the exact same thing on mine while trying to fit them.
one split going in ! seem very weak on that edge. not impressed...

I removed the broken bits and fitted them anyway as i was rushing to get the car back on the road.
But never thought to ask powerflex for replacements....

And mine sit just like yours do in that first picture. not great is it.

Having said that about 1 month with no issues so far. handles spot on now.

Well many thanks to PowerFlex, they sent out some new bushes! with a letter of apology regarding them breaking so soon. I fitted them yesterday and so far they are sitting fine? so only time will tell - I will probably replace them at a later date with the super pro ones but for now I will see they go!

The rubbing noise is still there though?! going to replace the ARB bushes next see if that helps, I jumped up and down on the sill of the car and the only noise I could hear was the strut top rubbing/vibrating like it was dry (but there new struts and rubbers) everything was tight.... the only thing I can think of was the top cap that holds the spring in place on the strut?